Deer Hunting Forums banner

Do you belive this?

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  delbert 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I'm sure it's just someone trying to get a laugh or two. The Combine isn't moving and the corn in front of it has already been cut down.
My guess is the operator shot and killed the deer and proped it up there for a good story.
He might be able to convince some folks that he hit it but not me. :crazy: lol

#6 ·
I believe it...I have personally killed two deer with the combine. I don't know why, but they seem to not even be scared of them sometimes. The two I hit were aparently bedded, and did not bother to move as the machine approached. I didn't see either one of them until they were in the header...kinda, well...just like the pic.

#12 ·
This very well could be true. The reason there is not standing corn in front of the combine header is because you will back up to work on the header if there is a problem. I would call having a deer in the header a problem. As far as no dust on the header, if you have a big enough of a breeze from the right direction there will be very little dust. If you have a big enough of a wind, you have just increased your chances of putting an animial in the combine (hard to hear the machine over the noise of the rustling corn stalks). It appears the buck was still alive while in the header (legs are caught), and they cut the throat to kill it.

#13 ·
It happens! Gee whiz...why so sceptical? If you look at the pics, the deer changes position while in the header, and is even holding its head up in this one...

Like I said, It has happened to me twice...not with a buck like that, but with deer none the less. I would say that most people who have logged their fair share of hours in the combine have hit some kind of animal if not a deer. That is a good point about the neck beeing cut to kill it. It obviously is not cut in the header pics, and a deer does not bleed if it is cut after the heart has stopped (or if someone props a dead deer in a combine header and then cuts it). This is obviously not a hoax.

#17 ·
Ok i know for a fact deer get caught in combines, but im also very very handy on computers... and i can tell u that those are not the same 2 deer... but both pics are not photoshoped in anyway... and it does happen.

#18 ·
its hard for a hunter to stalk a mature buck,,but if you think a 40 ft header with lights on,, the combine thashing,,,grain buggys moving thu the field,,grain trucks on the field roads,,can sneek up on the buck it just dont sound right...a little fawn , yes

#19 ·
Sounds like someone who has not worked much or at all on a farm during harvest.

The buck in the picture is caught in the last row of the header. IF the buck could tell the combine was headed his way (may not have if there was a big enough of a wind) he may have stayed put thinking he would be okay and was planning on leaving after the combine had passed. Also, the lights would not have hit the buck until it was in the header. The lights are mounted on the combine not the header. The standing corn would prevent the lights from hitting the buck until the corn was cut and pulled onto the platform.

Ask anyone who has harvested row crops, and they will tell you that you must watch out for deer and other animals - especially at night. It can be really hard to find them in a sunflower field. If you have moose and sunflowers (moose love sunflower fields) be very careful - you don't want one of them in your header.

Sometimes it is hard to kick up a mature buck. On my first deer hunt as a kid, I must have almost stepped on a nice buck. Dad and I were going through some very tall and thick brush. While we were slowly making our way through the brush I heard a noise behind me. I turned my head to see a nice buck going over the ridge.

I have worked a field with a 40 plus foot chisel plow and had several bedded deer watch me. More than once the chisel plow would come within ten feet of them before they decided to get up and move. They would get up slowly, stretch and move to the area that had just been worked. I have had hawks fly with the tractor so close that you could literally reach out the cab and touch them. I have also driven down the road with a grain truck to have fox run along side the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.