Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Muzzleloading Help (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/3125-muzzleloading-help.html)

BennyV 12-09-2008 04:39 PM

Muzzleloading Help

Hello all,
I just purchased a Thompson Center Muzzelloader, and was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what you all are shooting? (bullets/powder ect)

Thanks in advance, and Happy Hunting.

deerless 12-10-2008 03:45 PM

I am shooting two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a 245 grain powerbelt hollow point also out of a T/C. Do not shoot more than 60-70 yds. Hunt in the woods mostly . Works great for me two inch groups.

KTL 12-10-2008 11:37 PM

I also hunt with a T/C Omega. I have been using it for 5 years now. I am shooting 100 grains of American Pioneer Powder with a 250 grain Hornady SST bullet. They are a ease to load and very accurate at the range. I shot a buck this year with this combo but it was a close shot, only 40 yards, and he didn't go far, heart shot. I also have shot a lot of deer with the same powder only with the Shockwave 250 grain bullet. The Shockwave bullets are also very accurate and have great knockdown power. But, I have a harder time loading the Shockwave bullets after about the 4th shot. It has been through my experience that swabbing the barrel between each shot will in fact make it easier to load and be a more accurate gun. My brother-n-law has the Omega also and does not have problems loading his. So I wasn't sure why I was having problems. I talked to the folks at Thompson Center Arms about this and they said they have had other hunters call and complain of the same problems. They recommend using a little bit of bore butter on the outside rim of the sabots to ease the loading process. I tried this and it really did work. I do not believe I lost any accuracy either. Either way, I dont think you could go wrong with either bullet.

buckfever 12-12-2008 12:05 AM

2 pyrodex pellets and a shockwave.. Pretty accurate but can be tough to load..

HUNTAHOLIC 12-14-2008 05:48 PM

2 triple 7 pellets and a 200 grain shockwave bullet, TC Omega Z5 , one wet swab and 2 dry between each shot equals a very accurate mz'er. I shot a big buck this year at 165 yards and the deer didn't go 10 yards before dying. Awesome Combo!

nepaguy35 12-14-2008 06:15 PM

powder and bullets

I have two muzzle guns, a cheap cva wolf (got me hooked) and a T/C triumph. I shoot two 50grain pellets of 777 in each also us the same bullets in each, the new Hornady FBP 350gr flex tip. they load as easy as the power belts, but hold together better after impact. have killed sevral deer with the power belts, and thee with the FBP's will not go back to the power belts. with 100grs of 777 and that bullet I shoot a 1" group at 50 yards and a 2 1/2" at 100. Shoot a doe at 74 yards in the early season hit one rib going in and took out three coming out, never took a step. I like that style of bullet because I don't get plastic fouling in the barrel and sabots can be very hard to load. Do like I did, buy something diffrent and go to the range, till you find out what you like and what your GUN likes. There are alot of choices out there. Hope this helped! TC