late stand time - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Default late stand time

hey guys, just joined the club so hello to all. Had a question, one morning about a week ago me and my dad were hunting in the club he joined this year. And we left the house a little late and by the time we pegged in and got to the woods. We were walking in and i noticed it was sunrise already. you know when its a little more light than you think. so by the time i got to the top of the "alley" so to speak. i didnt want to walk down in there and spook anything so i just sat down by a tree at the top of the hill. Of course i didnt see anything that morning but i was wandering what you guys would have done. would you have went ahead and went on in and climbed or just camped out by the tree and hope you see something. i mean i know deer can move at anytime but you know how you get frusterated because its already sunlight and you feel like you can be seen climbing from a mile away......lol. so just wandering what some of you would have done in this situation. thanx for any input......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

been in that position many times whether it was getting off late from work or that dreaded snooze button. most times i still go in and still see deer. may just be my neck of the woods though
Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

I did that one year because I set the clock wrong you know the am/pm thing. Well got there at 7:30 calling myself names and everything else I could think of. By 10:30 had not even seen a squirrel---still mumbling to myself when I saw movement. Here he comes not a worry in the world. Short story I shot one of my best bucks ever. Moral of this is go hunt. You can't kill them from your couch or sleeping in your truck.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
B&C 180 Class

well i would have kept going in plenty of deer meet their maker at 7,8,9,10,11,12 etc
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

This is a prime example of the unwritten rules. Everybody knows to be in the woods before daylight but it isn't a law. On public land it is more important because of the various amounts of hunters involved but on private land it is just a good idea. When I'm running what I call a little late, I will use alot more caution a noise control heading in than I normally would at 4:30 or 5:00. I like to get there early and set everything up and wait for daylight, but there again I hunt large 15 to 30 feet high box stands.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

Go ahead and get to your spot. You may spook something out but that animal running might stur something else up. Had that happen last year, spooked a small buck and when he ran away he made 2 does get up and walk right too me.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 AM
B&C 100 Class

Yep, I would continue to stand using caution move as fast but trying to still be quiet. You never know what might show up and when. Happened to me this year. I arrived at my hunting spot in plenty of time, sat in my truck drinking the last few sips of hot coffee and debating if I wanted to be on stand for a hour or so before light. It was 18 degrees out and according to the weather channel that morning it was suppose to feel like 10 degrees!!! So I waited and by the time I started heading out I was slowed down because the snow was sooo crunchy that I ended up jumping deer. U know the feeling, you hear them take off, they didn't snort, so I stood there (motionless) for what I thought was long enough. Not, as soon as I took one step, SNORT SNORT. By the time I got to stand the sun was coming up and within 10 minutes of being in the tree stand I get a 40 yard shot at the biggest buck I have ever harvested, a 11 pt. So u never know what could happen. I guess it is better to be lucky than good.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
well i would have kept going in plenty of deer meet their maker at 7,8,9,10,11,12 etc
I Couldn't have said it any better !!! Great post Joel.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Scrub Buck

The public land I hunt takes a long time to get to, and even longer to get to where you want to go. I found myself in that situation earlier this year.

Here's my logic, based on experience: 1) Forget seeing a deer for the duration that you will be setting up / climbing. 2) Add 30 minutes or so for the commotion that you WILL make.

If your hunt is at least an hour longer than 1 + 2, and IF it puts you at any advantage, go in and climb. Most of the deer I've seen this year have been after I made noise getting into and out of the stand. If your careful, you shouldn't disturb much outside the immediate area, and deer move ALL DAY.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Good post there joel. One other option , if you don't have to pass by other hunters maybe wait a bit longer till daylight and slowly still hunt to your stand, otherwise go on in.