In the news... Deer gets revenge after hunter shoots him - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default In the news... Deer gets revenge after hunter shoots him

Deer gets revenge after hunter shoots him

Mon Dec 1, 8:13 pm ET

SEDALIA, Mo. – A hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but the kill caused him a lot of pain. Randy Goodman, 49, said he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck on Nov. 19. Goodman said the deer looked dead to him, but seconds later the nine-point, 240-pound animal came to life.

The buck rose up, knocked Goodman down and attacked him with his antlers in what the veteran hunter called "15 seconds of hell." The deer ran a short distance and went down, and died after Goodman fired two more shots.

Soon Goodman started feeling dizzy and noticed his vest was soaked in blood.

So he reached his truck and drove to a hospital, where he received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM

One last hoorah for the big buck. I'm glad the guy was OK though. It could've been much worse.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

Moral of the story is: Carry a sidearm when you hunt. Lol
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM

not legal everywhere, just make sure its dead!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

Ugh, laws. Keep your laws off my guns, washington. God bless Texas.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
B&C 100 Class

This is an excerpt from the Sedalia Democrat I found on the internet while checking the validity of this story.
With his Remington .270 rifle in hand, he shot a nice buck broadside. The buck’s front legs collapsed as it ran toward a fence and flipped over to the other side.
A second shot at about 30 yards away to the back of the neck put the buck down for good, or so Goodman thought.
A few minutes later Goodman went to check out his trophy. As he grabbed one horn he said, “Wow. What a big deer.”
As the nine-point, 240-pound buck lay lifeless the unexpected happened.
The buck stood up and knocked Goodman on his butt, attacking him with his antlers.
“It was 15 seconds of hell,” Goodman said.
Goodman thought the deer was trying to go through him as he fought it off the best he could. A few seconds later, the deer was off and running.
“I felt his front legs go over my face,” Goodman said.
The buck ran 30 yards and fell down again and Goodman was worried the deer wasn’t done yet.
“If he was going to come back I would be in trouble because I was in too much pain,” Goodman said.
Goodman walked back to his tree stand and grabbed his gun, finally putting the buck down with two more shots to the neck.
Well Ladies and gentleman here is a true story of poor shot placement and what I feel may be a case of unethical hunting in general. How many times have you left your rifle in a stand to go check on a deer????