Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   New hunting place! (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/3007-new-hunting-place.html)

flexj 11-26-2008 06:15 PM

New hunting place!

Well I acquired a new hunting spot this week and I am stoked about checking it out this weekend. It is in the area that I have been trying to tap into for the last 3 years. This area is where several huge trophy bucks (200" +) have come from recently that I have heard of. As a matter of fact on my way in there the other day I saw 3 big bucks on the back of a pickup at a gas station. One mulie (150") and two white tails in the 170s. Needless to say that got me pumped up. They came from a farm about 10 miles from the spot I will be hunting. Anyway this spot has a good creek and creek bottom that separates milo, alfalfa, and wheat fields from a brushy hilltop that the deer bed in. After looking around a little I found a shallow spot in the creek where the deer cross (~15 yards across) with a perfect ambush spot. There were 3 different trails that converge onto this crossing and each of them looked like a dad gum cattle trail (no cattle on the place). The ground was powdered with heavy deer travel. I will be spending saturday and sunday scouting this spot...I will take the camera along as I expect some good action. This place has not been hunted in decades and appears to be a hunting paradise. Hopefully this place will hold the type of deer I am looking for. I have all the meat I need for the year and one buck tag left. You better believe it will be saved for hopefully a giant buck that will be roaming this place. I will update this post on monday with the happenings of this weekend.

timberghost 11-26-2008 06:22 PM

Sounds like a great place to be. I hope the cattle trail pays off in a big way for you. Good luck flex!!!!!!!

ARKANSAS WHITETAILER 11-26-2008 06:23 PM

Good luck with the new paradise. Too bad it couldn't have come along before the tags were used up. Oh well it all taste the same. I look forward to seeing the pics you post after your scouting adventure.

wmi 11-26-2008 06:30 PM

Flexj can I hunt with you PLEASE!:biggrin:

flexj 11-26-2008 06:43 PM

I do still have a buck tag (gun or bow) and two doe tags (bow).

Come on down wmi...but it looks like you already got a big one or two this year.:biggrin:

wmi 11-26-2008 08:14 PM

Two, but who's counting? Sounds like a sweet set up. Seriously, maybe we can swap hunts? I still have a few here I have not put my tag on.:wink:

joel the signman 11-27-2008 05:53 AM

some guys catch all the breaks :biggrin:Good luck go get em

Id0ntlikeyou 11-27-2008 08:20 AM

Aaaand its down in Texas right? So I can come there my hunters license is good and i dont have to buy a OK one riiiiight? :wink:

Darnit...

flexj 11-27-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel the signman (Post 22387)
some guys catch all the breaks

Don't think that I didn't work hard to catch this place...I have been trying to get a place in this area for years. Probably upwards of 30 refusals before landing this one.

wmi...get with me before next season. Maybe we can work something out.

I picked up a spotting scope today. Hopefully that will help me to see them coming a little sooner.

Whitetail_Freak_Hunter 11-28-2008 03:08 AM

Good luck, can't wait for pictures and a hunting story :coffee: