Scent question - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:00 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
I value everyone's opinions here.We are all here to share stories,tips,experiences .Meat hunter,Trophy hunter ,weekend warrior,etc,etc.....Bottom line we are all HUNTERS.not for nothing but every deer i kill is a TROPHY,how bout you?
Can't say that one Joel. Personally some deer are meat and that is what I shoot them for. I even go as far as to try to only shoot older does so not to possibly mess up and hit a button buck. But on the other hand if a deer is worth me taking the shot then buck or doe it is a prize. Hot Dog, I think I found the right words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 06:05 AM
B&C 180 Class

." I even go as far as to try to only shoot older does"(wmi).but those little ones taste so good and what do you do with all those big racks you get?make soup?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-27-2008, 06:11 AM
B&C 140 Class

Back Scratchers!!! Work great and I don't even need to reach around my back.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

There ya go,learn something new everyday!why didnt i think of that Thanks
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Scrub Buck

I totally disagree with the idea of scent one morning in muzzleloading a couple of years ago Me and my hunting partner got up in our two man ladder stand and put caps on our gun and what do we know we have a monster of a buck come right where we had been walking not 3 minutes before that we had even spit right where he was standing.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:55 AM
B&C 140 Class

Did you get him?! Because if you didn't I know you never saw him again.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

Key words....."One Morning"....grins
Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

Not to take away from scent control....but....I know lots of guys who have taken mature bucks who smoke, dip, dont care what they wear, ect. Although I try and take scent control seriosly, I think its about being in the right spot at the right time. A good spot, scent control, temperature, the rut, ect. only increase your odds. But for me a lot of it is LUCK!! Agree or disagree?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
B&C 140 Class

Waggle I use to think the same way. I also thought that the areas I hunted did not have prize bucks. Then I met a man that every year here in this state shot a big buck off of public land. Well after several years of leaning on him for knowledge he took me hunting with him for one year and I shot my first big buck. He passed on the next summer but that one season changed everything for me. This guy was amazing how well he could read sign. I still can't do what he could do but I'm getting better. Yes luck exists but year after year no way. It is like a professional poker player it is not always the cards you're dealt but how you play them that ups your odds of winning. All of my posts on here is really just trying to convey this point. Best of all anyone can do it if one is willing to put in the extra effort. You don't have to hunt a lot if you hunt smarter. I hate to put someone on the spot but Southern Man is a prime example of what I am talking about so is Ronn. I'll leave it up to them if they would like to comment but these guys I know personally and have upped their game 10 fold. AND they are having fun doing it besides that thing called WORK (That's a nasty 4 letter word) LOL

Last edited by wmi; 11-27-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM

You see I knew you'd put the fun in there at some point! It is work, but putting in the extra effort makes a big difference over the long haul. Thats something everyone can utalize and appreciate.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 11-27-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add