Scent question - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

we have already come to the general consensus that a "trophy" is in the eye deer holder. I'm with you hm a mature buck hunter would be a better term for a given area. a 5.5 year old buck is a 5.5 year old buck, accounting for pressure, regardless of head gear. as i've said before here nothing is 100% but every little bit helps when it comes to scent control. be it for the day or for the season. rubber boots, soaps, sprays, clothes, wind, burning up a stand, or to many trips in and out, all must be taken seriously if you want that mature buck. besides why take a chance? yes guys shoot 4, 5, 6, deer from a stand a year but i'll bet at best they are 2.5 and for sure they are not ALL mature. not to mention they are hunting areas with higher deer densities.

back to the question at hand. the guys at the qdma are always studying the deer inside and out. they, i'm sure, can give some kind of number in parts per million that a deer can smell.

Last edited by ronn; 11-26-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,689
Default

I think they have figured that deer have something like 10X the smell detection that humans have, it may be greater, I don't remember the exact #. Of the deer that I've seen 200 yds was the farthest that I thought they were adversly affected. Scent control is something to take seriously if you want to be successful year after year especially as a bowhunter.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Buckshot's Avatar
Buckshot Buckshot is offline
B&C 160 Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 1,219
Default

I have seen everything from 1000X to 4000X better than we can smell, I don't think anybody knows for sure. What I know for sure is that buck last Sunday didn't smell me at 200 yards with the wind blowing right at him.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

is that where you shot him? what were the winds doing between you and him? only real way to tell is smoke. if he did smell you maybe he wasn't that alarmed cause it was 200 yards away. he's what 2.5? not that it maters cause he's got a terminal case of freezer wrap. just raising the question for something to think about. saw a thing one time about the tolerance level of deer and the radius in which you would get different reactions. but it was probably an opinion like everything else. I think its like everything we do in life. do your best. doing just enough is a bad approach to things.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Southern Man's Avatar
Southern Man Southern Man is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 588
Default

Years ago I was in a stand on the edge of a woods and the wind was blowing straight from behind me out into the field. I had a doe and 2 yearlings walk across the field and about 20 yards in front of me. When she came to my scent in the wind she about turned inside out.....she flipped backwards and then cautiously eased up to my scent and stretched her neck out to smell. She wouldn't cross where she could smell me. Finally she walked back a bit, went into the woods and circled around behind me and came back out to the field on the other side of me......... 20 minutes later I happened to look at the woods edge where she had first come from and there was a buck, then another, and then another. The last one I guessed to be 31/2. They walked as she did and came right to where the old gal freaked, and walked right on by..... never gave it a second thought. The wind hadn't changed. I would have been baffled at it but I waited and shot 3 times at the last buck (20-25 yards) barely missing him, and he never spooked at that either. He even jumped a bit at one shot whizzing by his belly...grins. I was out of arrows and they walked off into the sunset. I wrote it off as really stupid deer and a really louzy shot. But the scent thing? Who knows how one will react, better safe than sorry.......
__________________
We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Buckshot's Avatar
Buckshot Buckshot is offline
B&C 160 Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
is that where you shot him? what were the winds doing between you and him? only real way to tell is smoke. if he did smell you maybe he wasn't that alarmed cause it was 200 yards away. he's what 2.5? not that it maters cause he's got a terminal case of freezer wrap. just raising the question for something to think about. saw a thing one time about the tolerance level of deer and the radius in which you would get different reactions. but it was probably an opinion like everything else. I think its like everything we do in life. do your best. doing just enough is a bad approach to things.
I passed on that deer and that is what got me thinking about how far away they can smell you because he passed through what should have been my scent zone.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM
wmi wmi is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 790
Default

Just so you know I had to laugh on my way to the woods because I knew there had to be something that I would get fired back at. I guess it is just the way it is. If you want to have a play on words trophy or mature whatever, get over it. My bottom line is if I help one hunter be more successful then I have met my goal. You don't have to agree with me at all but if you sit back down and think about it and maybe say what the heck I'll try it then you might just be surprized. Hunting has a lot of trial and error. Lord knows I have had a lot of errors. Also got news for you 125-135 bucks ARE trophy bucks here but bigger bucks do exist here in this state. These are the animals that I spend so much time and effort trying to locate. It maybe that a certain farm I hunt this year does not have one. More often than not I might find a bigger buck on possibly 1 out of 5 great farms. There have been times hunting the way I do that I see one all season. To me it is just as important the quest as it is to get close enough for the harvest of such an animal. I am here to help. If you don't need it or want it that is fine but just maybe my input will help someone be more successful. I'm not here to hurt feelings.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Southern Man's Avatar
Southern Man Southern Man is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
My bottom line is if I help one hunter be more successful then I have met my goal.
Consider your goal met. But then you know that in my case. I hope there's more.........
__________________
We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 04:49 AM
joel the signman's Avatar
joel the signman joel the signman is offline
B&C 180 Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,608
Default all right

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
Just so you know I had to laugh on my way to the woods because I knew there had to be something that I would get fired back at. I guess it is just the way it is. If you want to have a play on words trophy or mature whatever, get over it. My bottom line is if I help one hunter be more successful then I have met my goal. You don't have to agree with me at all but if you sit back down and think about it and maybe say what the heck I'll try it then you might just be surprized. Hunting has a lot of trial and error. Lord knows I have had a lot of errors. Also got news for you 125-135 bucks ARE trophy bucks here but bigger bucks do exist here in this state. These are the animals that I spend so much time and effort trying to locate. It maybe that a certain farm I hunt this year does not have one. More often than not I might find a bigger buck on possibly 1 out of 5 great farms. There have been times hunting the way I do that I see one all season. To me it is just as important the quest as it is to get close enough for the harvest of such an animal. I am here to help. If you don't need it or want it that is fine but just maybe my input will help someone be more successful. I'm not here to hurt feelings.
I value everyone's opinions here.We are all here to share stories,tips,experiences .Meat hunter,Trophy hunter ,weekend warrior,etc,etc.....Bottom line we are all HUNTERS.not for nothing but every deer i kill is a TROPHY,how bout you?
__________________
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,689
Default

I think in one way or another everyone here is trying to help each other, opinions are just that. Happy Holiday everyone!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top Posters
Hunting Man7689
buckfever5650
BruceBruce19595422
timberghost3916
joel the signman3608
tator3180
gfdeputy22859
delbert1511
Buckshot1219
hunt NH1203
Photos
country
bigevil1
country
Team DHC Articles


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.



    LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8