Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   heated clothes (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/2992-heated-clothes.html)

oapy123 11-25-2008 06:45 AM

heated clothes

Does anybody have any experience with any of those battery powered heated jackets/vests/gloves/socks/pants? My grandfather is getting a bit older and doesnt like to go out as much as he used to because of the cold. I'm thinking something like this might be helpful but I'm hesitant to buy something without hearing some first-hand reviews of it.

Are they worth it? What particular brands are good?

BruceBruce1959 11-25-2008 07:24 AM

I've never tried any of it personally but from what I've read about such gadgets is that they work maybe once or twice but
because it's electronics either during the washing or dry cleaning, they get damaged and stop working.

There's always the throw away hand warmers, foot warmers, body warmers, etc etc and I know those help out tremendously.

Another thing you might consider is a Blind with a heater.
I use the "Doghouse by Ameristep" you can easily fit 2 people in it very comfortably or you can get a one person blind.
This is the Doghouse model. The windows on all sides are zippered so you open them as much as you want,
you can either use the full window or port holes visible in the pic.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Club.

http://www.ameristep.com/images/893_dogxlt_lg.jpg

wmi 11-25-2008 07:43 AM

Bruce's idea about the blind is probably the best. Now about clothing I also agree with him and have tried them-----Suggestion save your money and buy him Arctic Shield H7 Coat and Bibs. You can also buy the gloves, hat, and boot covers. With this stuff believe me you will not get cold. You won't even need to layer up. The only problem is you really have to take your time walking to your hunting spot so you don't get too hot. Taking your time is good hunting as well as easier on the hunter. This stuff works.:coffee:

Buckshot 11-25-2008 07:49 AM

:goodposting:

I agree with all the above, I have never seen any of those battery thingies work for long. I know when my dad got older and got on the meds you could have put him outside in a furnace and he would still get cold. I think Bruce has the best option with a heated blind.

Hunting Man 11-25-2008 09:46 AM

Buckshot , a light just went off on the meds thing you said. This year I've been on some pretty nasty stuff, legal, and for the first time could not keep warm. I've bowhunted many times in -20* and wasn't this cold and it was only 30-40*. I see the doc on Dec 3rd and will raise this with him. I still use polypro and wool as it has worked for many years. Just something has changed this year?????

wmi 11-25-2008 11:30 AM

HM please give the stuff I mentioned a try. Lighter and warmer than wool. AND it is scent control as well. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

oapy123 11-25-2008 02:16 PM

the heated blind thing is way too much. He would never go for that. Plus, how would I get a heater working in the middle of the woods?

He is the type of guy that doesnt complain and doesnt want to look like a sissy.

I'm going to buy this:
deleted
and try it out before I decide whether to give it to him or not. Its gotten great reviews compared to most of the other heated jackets and it isnt that expensive.

plus, since its not a camo pattern, he can wear it anywhere he goes, fishing, yard work, whatever.

Hunting Man 11-25-2008 02:24 PM

wmi, thanks for the info. I'll look it up. Remember where you got your's? Cabela's, Bass Pro????

ronn 11-25-2008 02:59 PM

the stuff wmi is talking about is warm. i use the Remington 6 way parka system and i think its made by the same folks. water proof,wind proof, and warm as toast. another thing to try are those back ache heat things. they are like the chem hand warmers but "tape" where you want them.

Hunting Man 11-25-2008 03:24 PM

ronn, I do use those belt type heater packs around the lower back area, they do help. Neck pain is getting bad so they may help that too. The clothes that you guys are using is it quiet like wool/fleese?