Deer Hunting Forums banner

What a weekend

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This weekend was probley the best hunting weekend i have ever had.Im 30 years old and have been hunting for 16 years and have never shoot a buck.I live in Halifax,Nova Scotia Canada were there is good number of deer just havent had the luck.Well the weekend starts off with a bang.Me and a friend were walking where we were hunting and i thought i saw something move and sure enough it was a deer,better yet it was a 12 pointer, never have i seen a deer like this while hunting just on tv or on the back of a truck.I was so stuned that one hand on the rifle and the other with the binocks i looked at him through the binocks rather then the rifle scope,buck fever.The buck ran and i walked slow and i saw him and fired a shoot and he kept running clean miss but i took the time and looked for sign to make sure there was blood or no blood,clean miss.we hunted there for a while but never saw him again.We went back to the hunting camp for the night and the guys bugged me all night but all in good fun.We woke up in the morning to a snow storm that laid down 30 -40cm of snow maybe more,we got up to the area that we hunt and the dirt roads were just covered and it was making it had to tell the ditch from the road,and the guys were nervous of getting stuck so they wanted to end the hunt and head back home.I was ticked that they wanted to leave so i sad lets hunt the first clearcut thats close to the main road and we did.the walk was crazy some snow was up to your knees,it was blowing hard just misrable.We all went different ways not even 20 mins bang,bang screaming ,yelling,woos and lots of other words my buddy took down the 12 pointed 178 pounds dressed what a monster well three hours later the deer is on the roof,tag cut and the deer is resigsterd,they what to leave and get home,i talked them in to staying for the evening hunt and went down to an old road that i hunted when i was younger.I was wet from the morning drag and should of changed my gear,i froze all afternoon and with a half hour of light out walks the biggest deer i have ever saw in my life time,i put the scope on him, cant see him the scope is fogged up i wipe it and i put it up again gone so im looking hard,there he is put the gun up, im shaking so bad that the crosshairs are going from the legs of the buck up to his back,cant stop shaking watching him for 20 mins putting the gun up on him and just cant stop shaking so i put the gun down and let him walk on.I leave the blind and my buddys are on the road waiting for me and they ask me did you get to see that buck i said yes,the buck had crossed the road before i saw him 14 points they counted.I told them the story they think im crazy for not pulling the trigger but i believe i did the right thing,get him next time.16 years have been hunting and have never had a weekend like this,what a good camp story but bad for my head, hes in my dreams for a lifetime hope you guys enjoy the read i will get a pic up on here of my buddys deer.

See less See more
#8 ·
great story too bad ya didnt get em this time but you made the wise choice by not taking an iffy shot.for that you should feel proud:wink:

#14 ·
the scope i have on my 308 is a bushnell,i bought it at walmart for 150.00 3 years ago.i know you get what you pay for.Im buying a new gun this week or next my pic for a gun is the ruger hawkeye 30.06 bolt action,and im looking to put the bushnell 4200 series scope with raingaurd and fog pertection,what do you guys think?thanks for the info on how to get the pics on here.

G
#15 ·
i, myself, question spending lots of $$ on glass but that is one a reason to do so. i think get the best you can afford. the last scope i bought was the pentax lightseeker with the 30mm tube. i think it was around $450 so heaven help me if it fogs up. i will say i have less expensive scopes and not had a problem with them but who wants to find one while a 14 point buck is standing there.

#16 ·
Brandon
that is a great deer I can see why it made for such a great hunt. Congrats to you all.

Ronn I am the same about spending high dollars for scopes like Brandon it would be the buck of a lifetime to find out I should of spent more money.

#18 ·
Big buck, congrats to your group. Is that a throat cut I see, do you guys up north still do that as tradition? I like quality scopes. ronn, 450. is not small potatoes. How's that 30mm tube ? I don't one but have considered it. Next trip to Cabela's I've got to see the difference vs 1" tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.