feet get cold - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Scrub Buck

Unhappy feet get cold

Ok I need some advise. I am going to get a new pair of boots this weekend and I need a good pair that will keep my feet warm. I'm a stand hunter and don't do hardly any walking just to my stand. After about two hours or so my feet are like ice. I got a pair of rocky 800 grams thinsulate and wear two pair of socks. I use to walk all the time so these use to be good, but love tree stand hunting now and don't plan to go back. Any help you guys can give me so I can stay up there more then a few hours at a time.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
B&C 180 Class

lacrosse pac boots with the removable bootie.I use to go ice fishing.also i hear those arctic shield over-boots things are toasty ,never used em.I also use those hot pacs and foot insoles
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARD101 View Post
Ok I need some advise. I am going to get a new pair of boots this weekend and I need a good pair that will keep my feet warm. I'm a stand hunter and don't do hardly any walking just to my stand. After about two hours or so my feet are like ice. I got a pair of rocky 800 grams thinsulate and wear two pair of socks. I use to walk all the time so these use to be good, but love tree stand hunting now and don't plan to go back. Any help you guys can give me so I can stay up there more then a few hours at a time.

Thank you
One quick and easy way to warm up your feet is to buy a pair of wool socks, but you don't want to make it to hot or your feet will sweat. If that happens you will know the meaning of icy cold feet.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Try those little chemical heaters. I like the ones shaped like the insole of your boot. Also electric socks work.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Wear a light set of socks to your stand, so your feet don't sweat. Then change into a pair of polyrpolyene liners followed by quality marino wool socks. The poly pro socks move any sweat to the wool keeping your feet dry. I personally don't like the heater packs as they tend to make my feet overheat then sweat and put the heater out after 2-3 hours.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
lacrosse pac boots with the removable bootie.I use to go ice fishing.also i hear those arctic shield over-boots things are toasty ,never used em.I also use those hot pacs and foot insoles
Arctic shield work very well. If not those pack boots do the job although a little heavy. Takes awhile to get use to them especially on longer walks.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

this season i started using 1000 gram rubber boots, i think mine are field and stream. when it's really cold i wear three pairs of hunting socks with the toe warmers on both the top and bottom. my feet weren't cold all day. just be sure to get the boots a size too big so they'll still fit, and those boots i think were around $80 so it's worth a try before shelling out $150 or more. good luck, nothing makes a day in the stand miserable like cold feet or hands.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
ronn

boots that are to tight will make your feet colder faster. a size or 2 to big along with the sock combo hm said works very well.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

Sorel makes some very good boots, or at least they did. The pair I have has the removable inside boot and is when they were still made in Canada. Realize that the temperature rating is for a person who is walking. A -40 boot will not keep your feet warm at -40 when you are stationary. I use electric wool socks, and they work great. Also have electric gloves. They come in handy with breezy and very cold temps while 20 feet in the air.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 AM
B&C 100 Class

I'm glad it don't get that cold in Arkansas. I hate cold feet. If you have a military surplus store nearby or an e-bay account try some of the inexpensive Army ECW (extreme cold weather) boots. I would hate to spend several hundred dollars testing boots you ain't walking in anyway. ECW articles for the Army are rated at -40F. If it is colder than that I'll hunt out the backdoor with the fireplace rolling.