Deer Hunting Forums banner

Doe Wounded

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  countryboy 
#1 ·
OK here is the story
today at approx 8:45 I got a shot on a big doe approx 75 yards aimed for the crease behind the front shoulder like I always do
She buckled & ran the fastest I have seen a deer run I was using my 12 ga slug gave about 15 min. went to where I shot here extremely small amount of blood, small amount of clear fluid around the blood drop kind of sticky & a handful of good sized bone fragments ( feel it was a solid shoulder hit) We have covered over 500 yards in all directions been searching till well after dark & searching tomorrow I have only had to search for 1 deer in my life more then 50 yards & that was just a plain ol bad shot ( lack of experience) & had a good blood trail & found it within 20 Min. I will not stop searching till I find her Unfortunately all sign will most likely be gone tomorrow as it is raining pretty good right now
I have never had to go through anything like this I don't know how I missed my spot I am so upset w/ myself right now I am ready to find her & call it a season no matter the results
Just had to get this off my chest I know I am not the only one who has had something like this happen but it kills me to know she is out there wounded & a good chance the coyotes are going to find her before we do any suggestions would be great I will keep you all updated tomorrow on what we found or did not find
Hunt safe
GFDEPUTY2 :sad: :crybaby::confused::ranting:

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any really thick and/or somewhat tall (knee high or taller) grass or reeds? A few years ago, a guy at a check station checked in a nice buck. His shot missed its mark, and the search was on. While searching, he noticed the ground below his foot moved. The buck had burried himself in some thick, lodged grass and the rack was camouflaged by a bush. The grass was lodged (flattened) due to the weather conditions.

#6 ·
Your feelings are natural. Most of the wounded deer I have looked for seem to head to water and lower ground. If you have creek bottoms with thick cover, you may want to look there. Some deer start up hill after a shot only to trun and make a big loop down. Good luck hopefully you find it.

#7 ·
Sad we searched all day today found nothing she did stay low until we lost her tracks I spent the day in a swamp knee high water & golden rod as tall as me while my buddies searched the woods no sign of her
went back to where I shot her followed the bullet path hit two good sized branches about 65 yards out I did not see through the scope (no magnification) & looks like the slug moved about 4 inches as I found the slug in the side hill so instead of hitting her just behind the shoulder it looks like I might have hit the very front of her shoulder
Not happy at all with myself right now.
Don't know if I would have done anything different other then make sure my shooting path is clear?????

#8 ·
You have done what you can to locate her. I commend you for searching two days and asking for ideas. The fact that you did not find her after searching for two days means she may have survived this long. If you hit the front of the shoulder and she was running fine, she may survive. Several years ago, a guy from work shot a buck. They later discovered this buck had three additonal slugs in the body from a previous season(s). You need to chalk this up to experience, and put it behind you. If you are hunting in the woods, you may not always see all the branches in the flight path. Always do your best to check the flight path. If you can, use something with magnification (binoculars) to check for obstructions between you and the target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.