First Time Hunting, Advice? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Scrub Buck

Default First Time Hunting, Advice?

I am going on my first hunt this year. I have knowledge of shooting, and guns, but I have not hunted deer before. Does anyone have advice as to what I need to know to be ready for this trip? At the moment, I am going to public land, or maybe on base, and by my self. I could use tips on gear, and tactics and everything you can think of. Thanks, and Semper Fi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
ronn

Hey Sgt, many many books have been written on the subject. It takes years to learn on your own as to what to do and what not to do. Basic, keep the wind in your face, move slow going through the woods and look for "parts" of deer. somewhere here there is a list of great books that will give you some stuff to think about on deer hunting. MAYBE ONE OF THE MODERATORS CAN DIG UP THAT LIST, hint hint. as with any endeavor using a firearm safety first. oh and welcome
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Scrub Buck

#1: If you hunt by yourself, let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back. I leave a map to my general location at my house and one more specific at my truck. On public land this is also helpful because other hunters will know where you are if they hunt the same area.

#2: The first time I hunt a new area, I either stake out a creek or other water source, or look for the biggest, nastiest patch of briars and brush I can find and hunt the very edge of it.

Are you using a climbing stand, portable blind, or are you stalking?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM
B&C 120 Class

Smile

Use scent free laundrey det, don't smoke (even if hunting into wind) wear rubber boots with your pants tucked in. When Ronn says look for parts of deer look for the backs of the animals. Most objects in the woods are verticle. Train your eyes to look for the horizontal lines. Focus in on any white objects representing there throat patch, belly and tails. There wagging tails create flashes of white which get them busted almost every time.
A brown animal against a brown background is very difficult to see. Deer are patient and curious when suspicious. In my treestand a few weeks ago I had one stand motionless for 20 minutes waiting for me to move.
You will get sound advise from many users on this site.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

The only thing I could add is if hunting from a stand wear your safety belt. We need you. Thank for your service.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 AM
B&C 100 Class

stay in your stand/blind as long as you can stand it... if your about to leave stay another hour or so.... WMI is correct the most important thing is your saftey get one and use it... even if the tree is "not that high". sit still, dont make lots of "non deer" noise and you should be fine... oh and please do not shoot if you are not 100% sure that the shot will hit its mark and drop that sucker fast... nothing sucks more than gut shotting one and tracking for hours and not finding your bounty. good luck and dont forget pics.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

First of all,to all you veterans out their THANK YOU and have a wonderful veterans day,hope you get to spend it in the woods!!! I wash my clothes before every hunt,what a drag. Do you guys do that too?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Scrub Buck

Best advice I can give, and the hardest to follow for some people, is to slow everything you do down. The way you walk, shoot, look around, and everything else you do. Definitely will make you a better hunter in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM
B&C 100 Class

Hey quick question, I'm a first season hunter here too, Will my Ghillie Suit ive got (HUA US Army ) help with hunting? Or will deer simply be able to see me better? Didnt plan on using it, but my buddy was curious if I was going to bring it.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id0ntlikeyou View Post
Hey quick question, I'm a first season hunter here too, Will my Ghillie Suit ive got (HUA US Army ) help with hunting? Or will deer simply be able to see me better? Didnt plan on using it, but my buddy was curious if I was going to bring it.
Your Ghillie Suit could get you killed during hunting season.
Make Sure you wear Appropriate hunting attire while hunting,
many states require hunters to wear Safety/Orange, make sure you check the hunting laws in your state.