Deer Hunting Forums banner

First Time Hunting, Advice?

15K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  LAHunter 
#1 ·
I am going on my first hunt this year. I have knowledge of shooting, and guns, but I have not hunted deer before. Does anyone have advice as to what I need to know to be ready for this trip? At the moment, I am going to public land, or maybe on base, and by my self. I could use tips on gear, and tactics and everything you can think of. Thanks, and Semper Fi.

G
#2 ·
Hey Sgt, many many books have been written on the subject. It takes years to learn on your own as to what to do and what not to do. Basic, keep the wind in your face, move slow going through the woods and look for "parts" of deer. somewhere here there is a list of great books that will give you some stuff to think about on deer hunting. MAYBE ONE OF THE MODERATORS CAN DIG UP THAT LIST, hint hint. as with any endeavor using a firearm safety first. oh and welcome

#3 ·
#1: If you hunt by yourself, let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back. I leave a map to my general location at my house and one more specific at my truck. On public land this is also helpful because other hunters will know where you are if they hunt the same area.

#2: The first time I hunt a new area, I either stake out a creek or other water source, or look for the biggest, nastiest patch of briars and brush I can find and hunt the very edge of it.

Are you using a climbing stand, portable blind, or are you stalking?

#4 ·
Use scent free laundrey det, don't smoke (even if hunting into wind) wear rubber boots with your pants tucked in. When Ronn says look for parts of deer look for the backs of the animals. Most objects in the woods are verticle. Train your eyes to look for the horizontal lines. Focus in on any white objects representing there throat patch, belly and tails. There wagging tails create flashes of white which get them busted almost every time.
A brown animal against a brown background is very difficult to see. Deer are patient and curious when suspicious. In my treestand a few weeks ago I had one stand motionless for 20 minutes waiting for me to move.
You will get sound advise from many users on this site.

#6 ·
stay in your stand/blind as long as you can stand it... if your about to leave stay another hour or so.... WMI is correct the most important thing is your saftey get one and use it... even if the tree is "not that high". sit still, dont make lots of "non deer" noise and you should be fine... oh and please do not shoot if you are not 100% sure that the shot will hit its mark and drop that sucker fast... nothing sucks more than gut shotting one and tracking for hours and not finding your bounty. good luck and dont forget pics.

#9 ·
Hey quick question, I'm a first season hunter here too, Will my Ghillie Suit ive got (HUA US Army :biggrin:) help with hunting? Or will deer simply be able to see me better? Didnt plan on using it, but my buddy was curious if I was going to bring it.

#10 ·
Your Ghillie Suit could get you killed during hunting season.
Make Sure you wear Appropriate hunting attire while hunting,
many states require hunters to wear Safety/Orange, make sure you check the hunting laws in your state.

#11 ·
Thats a good point. I would hope that people would make sure of their targets and wouldnt shoot at a bush, but its entirely possible. I dont think Texas requires that we wear the orange though. I didnt really plan on using the ghillie anyway, there are plenty of blinds where I'm going so I wont have to creep.

#13 ·
Yeah its one of my favorites. One of the few thats not Lincoln, Reagan, or Patton. Lol

#14 ·
i know that a lot of predator hunters use ghili suits.from what i understand you weave em yourself so you could weave some orange into it i guess.i wear a leafy bug suit that looks like a bush but i wear an orange hat while moving and during bow season only

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
LA, I'll probably be stalking, since I don't own a stand, but that's what I am better at, and prefer as well. I don't think its hunting, unless your.....well hunting. not that there is anything wrong with sitting in a stand or blind. just my prefrence. I was thinking water source should get me something for sure, but I don't know. I reckon everything needs water. I figure to camp for maybe three days, unless my luck is just that good. using bolt action 30-06, remington 710. 3-9X40 bushnell. came with it, but its accurate as heck, as am I, and one thing the Corps taught me was never shoot unless your going to kill your target. One shot, One kill. so as long as i dont smoke, and keep the wind in my face, move slow, and dont make a lot of noise, (as i was trained in hunting man) i should be ok then?

#16 ·
pretty sure you'll do fine:wink:

#17 ·
Yeah, the mechanics of stalking deer are pretty much the same as stalking the bad guys. Don't silhouette yourself on a hilltop, watch the wind, ect.

I know several hunters whose preferred tactic is to slip along a creek, slough, or an elevated bank in the swamps. Just can't do it everywhere, though. Too many hunters in Louisiana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.