what happened to my Doe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 AM
B&C 100 Class

Angry what happened to my Doe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ok this is my second year hunting, and on Nov 5th, 2008 3 doe walked up in my target range... now im using a Horton Yukon Sl crossbow with 20" bolts with Muzzy 125 grain broad heads... i picked the 2nd doe (they were all equal in size), i shot and im not sure where i hit but i know i did, so i waited for 10 min and climbed down from my stand, reloaded my crossbow and went on the search, i went to where i shot her and saw nothing just kicked up leaves no bolt no blood nothing so i was thinking i didnt hit her but i walked around a lil bit and i saw my bolt, it was snaped in half when she hit a tree and there was ALOT of blood where the bolt landed, and this was deep red blood, so i figured the bold didnt pass through because the blood only went half way down the shaft of the bolt, so she had to snap it off and still have half the bolt AND the broad head in her.

so i looked around and didnt see much elsewhere, so i walked through the woods looking for signs and saw nothing, so i went and got my dad and my friend justin, and we went and looked for her.

when we got back to where i found my bolt beside a tree we saw nothing at all, so we walked around and about 20 yards from the tree we find some white hair and some scuff marks on a down tree limb. and see NOTHING else so we throughly search the woods, about 50 yards the other direction i find A LOT of blood and a steady blood trail leading from it and it was freash and had hair in it, so we followed the trail, after about 90 min of following a trail it got light, after it got light for a bit it would pour blood again and not like she was standing still u could see every direction where she went when it was heavy, but another hunter who hunted the same woods joined us because he saw us while he was leaving the woods... and he helped us track her more.

about another hour or so of tracking and the trail gets REAL light, we just found a small drop probly every 10 yards, and it took us to a clearing that exited the woods to a small scouts camp that we know the land owner (yes we had permishion) and right outside the clearing it grass then a basketball course and all that type of crap, and we walked out and saw nothing so we waled South along the woods and about 20 yards down the edge we sight another nice big wet drop of blood on one of the only leaves around in that area, so we kept on the path we were heading, and saw absolutly nothing, we walked into a clearing that lead back into the woods and there were only 2 paths the deer could of took from there, but we saw absolutly no signes of her, and we searched this area for an hour or so with nothing to go on...

so the doe pulled a hudinie on us and disapeared with no trace and after hours of looking we gave up on her (wich sucked because this was my first deer)

i have no clue why the arrow didnt pass clean through her, this is pretty powerfull crossbow and i can knock targets out at 50 yards with it easily (i have a scope on it)

my thinking is with the amount and color of the blood and the fact it didnt pass through is that i hit her rib cage and it got lodged, but if thats the case im very suprised she ran so far and alluded us.

im so confused as to what the heck happened, can someone please shine some light on my first deer that disapeared?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 05:34 AM
B&C 160 Class

Tuff luck on the deer. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I would think if you hit her in the rib cage she would have gone down pretty quickly. My bet would be you hit the shoulder. There is a Shoulder blade that will stop an arrow just like what you are describing.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:38 AM
B&C 100 Class

Penitration has a lot to do with the weight of the arrow or bolt in your case. That is why I switched from a light CX arrow to a heavy Easton FMJ 340 for my bowhunting, as I want weight for penitration.

In years past, I had shots like that where I found that the deer in question headed for good cover to hide under. To this day, when I have a deer run, I look under low hanging bows of trees and even bushes. Just do everything you can to track your deer, and if you can not find it at least you know you have exhausted all means to locate your deer.

This does happen, even to the best of us.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 AM

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 AM
B&C 100 Class

how long did you wait before you started trailing her. if you wait long enough, sometimes overnite, she may just bed down and bleed out. if you don't wait long enough you'll just push her and never find her. this happens, just always make sure you spend as much time as you can trailing her to make sure she's not laying for coyotes. don't be discouraged, you'll get another chance!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
B&C 100 Class

well my cross bolt are pretty heavy and hit pretty hard... iv shot through my target when i put on a broad head and it went clean through and kept going, so im thinking it might be the shoulder blade idea, the bolt did go in about 7-10 inches and its a 20 inch bolt.

well i stayed in my stand for a good 10 min, then by the time i got down and got all my gear set up for the tracking it was a good 20 min after taking the shot, i went in and found my bolt (she broke it off on a tree) and i looked around real quick to see if she was laying down near me and she wasnt, so i went home (10 min drive) got my dad and buddy out of bed (30 min) and drove back (another 10 min) so in total it was pretty much an hour or so wait till we really started to track her.

so im still pretty upset i lost her but that didnt stop me from going out today :D and i just put together another tree stand and im gona put it up when my dad gets home with the truck lol, so that way he can use that and he can actually get a shot off on a deer hopefully.

since its now 25 hours after i shot the doe, wouldnt that mean the meat is done spoiled now... so should i try searching again or not?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

also something i forgot to mention is we did find alot of white hair, and there is white hair on the arrow... but wouldnt u think that if i stomach shot her, that the arrow would pass clean through easily?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

here are the pics of the arrow.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/SANY0175.jpg - this is a comparison of the arrow next to a good one
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/SANY0176.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/SANY0177.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/SANY0178.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/SANY0179.jpg

Last edited by cronarct; 11-08-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 AM
B&C 180 Class

real blurry but all those white hairs you nicked the bottom of the deer its probably fine.your arrow may have struck the ground or leg causing it to snap
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 AM
B&C 100 Class

had to be the leg or something because the arrow was found 20 yards away from where i shot her, she broke it off on a tree