Meet Mr Lucky Buck - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Meet Mr Lucky Buck

While on my uncles spread yesterday, I spent several hours not seeing a thing as it has just been overly quiet in his area. I decided that because of the lack of activity I would head on over to another farm that is much large to hunt for my does.

Well look at Mr Lucky here on my uncles place. I call him that because he is just to small to take this year. I know some whould have pulled the trigger but we have to manage these deer right. I've got my uncle agreeing with me that we need to see bigger bucks, which means let them grow.

We have set up a size standard for the taking of any buck on this property. When I first saw him he loped from the orchard, and then just stood broadside in front of that large stump in the left of the picture. I grabbed my camera and he had moved just a bit.

I think this guy needs another 3 years, what do you all think?

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
B&C 180 Class

let em grow
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

is that a spike?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

Yep it's a spike.. and the second one I have had in my sights, but refuse to pull the trigger. With the camera I owned him and would rather see him get much bigger.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM

sometimes camera shots are just as awsome.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

not to be a smartalec (sp?) but unless you were going after your first deer why would anyone even consider shooting a spike, especially with the overabundance of does in most if not all areas? in my opinion, spikes are for first time hunters, and then only if they are young. if you want the meat, shoot a doe and let the bucks grow and grow. hope not to offend!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
B&C 160 Class

I agree let him go, at least another year. :)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
B&C 180 Class

In the east you may only see one buck a year and it may be a spike
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

joel, is that maybe why you only see one buck a year, because everyone is shooting the first thing with any horns that walks by? just a question. not sure of the area where he's at and maybe being from eastern ohio i'm spoiled but they'll never be any bucks with any size if all the spikes and fork horns are being shot instead of lettin them walk. i went empty handed, as far as harvesting a buck, last year but had plenty of chances to shoot small 4's, 6's, 8's even 10's but buy doing that it will pay off in the future as far as the quality of bucks in my area.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
B&C 180 Class

i have shot spikes and proud of it.we are supposed to take "x"amount of deer out of the herd for the overall well being of the environment.its not take only "shooter" bucks.that aside i have also passed on smaller bucks because i filled some doe tags already.point is there's nothing wrong with shooting spikes.i believe the whole obsession with big racks is ruining deer hunting.its makes people do stupid unethical things.its called "antler illness"