Deer Hunting Forums banner

Meet Mr Lucky Buck

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Whitetail_Freak_Hunter 
#1 ·
While on my uncles spread yesterday, I spent several hours not seeing a thing as it has just been overly quiet in his area. I decided that because of the lack of activity I would head on over to another farm that is much large to hunt for my does.

Well look at Mr Lucky here on my uncles place. I call him that because he is just to small to take this year. I know some whould have pulled the trigger but we have to manage these deer right. I've got my uncle agreeing with me that we need to see bigger bucks, which means let them grow.

We have set up a size standard for the taking of any buck on this property. When I first saw him he loped from the orchard, and then just stood broadside in front of that large stump in the left of the picture. I grabbed my camera and he had moved just a bit.

I think this guy needs another 3 years, what do you all think?

See less See more
#2 ·
let em grow

#6 ·
not to be a smartalec (sp?) but unless you were going after your first deer why would anyone even consider shooting a spike, especially with the overabundance of does in most if not all areas? in my opinion, spikes are for first time hunters, and then only if they are young. if you want the meat, shoot a doe and let the bucks grow and grow. hope not to offend!

#13 ·
No offense taken by your remarks, as I said we are trying real hard to manage his property where the bucks get bigger with age and selective harvesting. If I were taking a 1st time hunter into the woods, this property would not be a place I would even consider taking them as there are many more places to take them in the National Forest.

We have such an over abundance of does in our valley area that you can get 5 doe tags over the counter. So in teaching young hunters proper along with that you need to teach them proper management of your game as well.

I like a program they got in Wisconson called "Earn a Buck", and you must harvest a doe before you can harvest a buck.

#8 ·
In the east you may only see one buck a year and it may be a spike:whistling:

#9 ·
joel, is that maybe why you only see one buck a year, because everyone is shooting the first thing with any horns that walks by? just a question. not sure of the area where he's at and maybe being from eastern ohio i'm spoiled but they'll never be any bucks with any size if all the spikes and fork horns are being shot instead of lettin them walk. i went empty handed, as far as harvesting a buck, last year but had plenty of chances to shoot small 4's, 6's, 8's even 10's but buy doing that it will pay off in the future as far as the quality of bucks in my area.

#10 ·
i have shot spikes and proud of it.we are supposed to take "x"amount of deer out of the herd for the overall well being of the environment.its not take only "shooter" bucks.that aside i have also passed on smaller bucks because i filled some doe tags already.point is there's nothing wrong with shooting spikes.i believe the whole obsession with big racks is ruining deer hunting.its makes people do stupid unethical things.its called "antler illness"

#11 ·
i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers and a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. if someone shoots a spike and is happy with that than that's great. i would rather, in my core area, let the younger bucks grow to their full potential and help the herd's health by harvesting does and older bucks with "substandard" genetics. i try to fill my freezer with doe meat and get what i consider a trophy for the wall, if i'm that lucky. in my opinion, the main concern is the health of the herd, and, in my opinion, that begins with sufficient forage. i would imagine that most areas have entirely too many does and therefore that is where the best good for the herd should be concentrated. as with every topic, both hunting and not, everyone has their own opinion and everyone should listen to all sides, after all we are all after the same goal- a healthy herd and great memories!

#12 ·
To each his own. A lot of this depends on how your raised. My dad was a meat hunter. We shot anything that was legal back in the day. Now that I have my own lease I put a size limit on the deer we shoot and ask everyone that hunts my lease to do the same. But, if my freezer is getting empty I sure will shoot the first deer God gives me!

P.S. I hope he gives me a Pope and Young qualifier next week:wacko:

#14 ·
no offense taken.if i had my own property maybe i would do the same but when you hunt state land and only get to hunt a few days you take what you can.like i said i've passed on some small bucks cuz i all ready had meat .and i like a good rack as much as the next .some people present company excluded take it too far.I hunt to put meat on the table and have a good time in God's country.antlers are nice to look at and i dont knock people that trophy hunt but ya cant eat em.i do dig the trying to outsmart an older ,smarter buck thats cool.but some people get so consumed by the quest for big racks they poach,break the rules ,abandon ethics and so on.thats not for me.anyway i said my piece

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.