Meet Mr Lucky Buck - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers and a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. if someone shoots a spike and is happy with that than that's great. i would rather, in my core area, let the younger bucks grow to their full potential and help the herd's health by harvesting does and older bucks with "substandard" genetics. i try to fill my freezer with doe meat and get what i consider a trophy for the wall, if i'm that lucky. in my opinion, the main concern is the health of the herd, and, in my opinion, that begins with sufficient forage. i would imagine that most areas have entirely too many does and therefore that is where the best good for the herd should be concentrated. as with every topic, both hunting and not, everyone has their own opinion and everyone should listen to all sides, after all we are all after the same goal- a healthy herd and great memories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

To each his own. A lot of this depends on how your raised. My dad was a meat hunter. We shot anything that was legal back in the day. Now that I have my own lease I put a size limit on the deer we shoot and ask everyone that hunts my lease to do the same. But, if my freezer is getting empty I sure will shoot the first deer God gives me!

P.S. I hope he gives me a Pope and Young qualifier next week
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy dog View Post
not to be a smartalec (sp?) but unless you were going after your first deer why would anyone even consider shooting a spike, especially with the overabundance of does in most if not all areas? in my opinion, spikes are for first time hunters, and then only if they are young. if you want the meat, shoot a doe and let the bucks grow and grow. hope not to offend!
No offense taken by your remarks, as I said we are trying real hard to manage his property where the bucks get bigger with age and selective harvesting. If I were taking a 1st time hunter into the woods, this property would not be a place I would even consider taking them as there are many more places to take them in the National Forest.

We have such an over abundance of does in our valley area that you can get 5 doe tags over the counter. So in teaching young hunters proper along with that you need to teach them proper management of your game as well.

I like a program they got in Wisconson called "Earn a Buck", and you must harvest a doe before you can harvest a buck.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 PM
B&C 180 Class

no offense taken.if i had my own property maybe i would do the same but when you hunt state land and only get to hunt a few days you take what you can.like i said i've passed on some small bucks cuz i all ready had meat .and i like a good rack as much as the next .some people present company excluded take it too far.I hunt to put meat on the table and have a good time in God's country.antlers are nice to look at and i dont knock people that trophy hunt but ya cant eat em.i do dig the trying to outsmart an older ,smarter buck thats cool.but some people get so consumed by the quest for big racks they poach,break the rules ,abandon ethics and so on.thats not for me.anyway i said my piece
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 AM

well said Joel
I am with you on this
Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 AM
B&C 100 Class

Joel I agree with you as well.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter