Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   new to calling (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/2757-new-calling.html)

wrangerrambler 10-31-2008 07:56 PM

new to calling

not new to hunting but new to this board and to calling. i have tinkered around with some horns but never had much luck. started using a can and a grunt last year but havent had any luck until the other night ( of this year) when a doe saw me and stomped and blew and trotted off. i hit the can 5 or 6 times with some grunts mixed in and within a minute and a half i had a NICEEEEE 8 point walk up just never had a clean shot. my question is this...

what is a good sequence or (for lack of better words) a good ratio of can/grunt calling? how bout this... I just need some tips. the ruts starting to pic up here in nc. advice on pre, main, and post rut is all greatly appreciated. thanks

East Texas Droptine 10-31-2008 08:16 PM

I'd say that, or this is somewhat I do when I call (although I rarely call) a good call is a DOE-BUCK grunt-BUCK grunt -DOE-slightly longer BUCK....but I really don't have a set "calling sequence" I just go with what I think a deer would 'talk' like at that particular moment....but somelse will probably have a good scientific calling sequence...

Beaux 10-31-2008 08:50 PM

If you watch all the hunting shows they all do it different. I don't think there is a set way to do it. I treat deer kind of like I treat a big gobbler, I call enough to keep them intrested but I try to make sure I don't over do it. Here in Mississippi the deer don't seem to react to calls very well at all, but when I get to hunt in Iowa they respond very well. I just try to feel it out especially if you can see the deer just watch how they respond. I'm no professional by any means but that works for me. Oh and in Iowa the Primos can and Buck roar with a litte aggresivness worked for me.

wmi 10-31-2008 10:00 PM

You have to be able to read the animals body language. Most times when it comes to bucks you can tell when you have tripped his trigger.

BruceBruce1959 11-01-2008 07:20 AM

there isn't a scientific way to call deer. sometimes calling works sometimes it doesn't.
sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts.
My advice for calls is always the same, Use your calls when you hear the deer making the calls, IF you hear doe's/fawns, use your Doe calls, if you're hearing bucks grunt use your grunt calls, only rattle during the pre and peak rut, I think those are the ideal times a buck will respond to rattlin'. calls are probably more effective in low volumes so dont call too loudly and allow at least 10 minutes between call sequences. I hope this helps. Good luck

wrangerrambler 11-02-2008 06:43 PM

just to add to my lack of knowledge of calling... we have a temperature hike and deer movement stopped (so it seems). been seeing deer in this same little creek bottom, then temp rises 15-20 degrees and now nothing.

joel the signman 11-03-2008 11:03 AM

i like the true talker.when i bought it years ago it came with a VHS tape.most of the primos calls come with DVD's check into that

HuntingGal&HuntingKid 11-03-2008 11:47 AM

We have never used anything,Oh Jacob bought a rattle bag but never has used it yet, and he has a doe can , now he used that last Sunday when he brought that buck of his out,he did it about 5 times then stopped and poof he was there .

joel the signman 11-03-2008 02:25 PM

those cans are great and super easy to use

HuntingGal&HuntingKid 11-03-2008 02:33 PM

Yep, Jacob has a small can, he is wanting one a little bigger .That was the first time he ever used it.