Three Arrested Poaching Deer in Vermont - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

My dad and I own about 130 acres surrounded by government land. Keeping poachers off our place is a full time job we catch them every year. We have good barbed wire fences and so many posted signs it looks like a highway. These people don't care whatsoever. A week ago my buddy and I found a dead deer with its head, back straps, hind quarters, and one front shoulder missing. It was definatly a buck but Ill never know what it was. Last year I found about a three year old eight point with a bullet hole dead in the edge of our pond. The game wardens didn't say much but to let them know when we caught someone. Any ideas with dealing with these prolonged problems. Oh and ealier this year one of our trail cameras was stolen before I could check the pics on it. Dangit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
The code blue Idea is awesome but tape a buck roar in their mouths so when they scream they attract more
gfdeputy2, don't make those funnies when I'm drinking coffee!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 PM

Sorry to hear that Beaux, we have alot of that garbage going on here too. No respect for people or animals. We may have to start cracking heads right.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

Beaux,

What I normally do is hunt on days that people know that I don't often hunt. I also have friends drop me off, or park far away that way it makes the poachers think that they won't run into anyone. I also enlist the help of several of my friends and we will hunt various parts of the property at the same time and day to keep a good eye on things.

Another thing we do is to put old railroad spikes in the trails or roads people use to come into our property.

You can also hide off the side of the roadways to catch people who are being dropped off

One of my friends had a few cameras stolen, so the next one he put out had a nice lock box put on it....however, there was another camera (a very inexpensive one) mounted a few yards from the first. The expensive camera in the lock box was taken but the fella had a few nice pictures of himself get taken by the cheap camera in the process.

If your local game wardens aren't being of much help ( patrolling the area and such) report it to the states game agency (their supervisors) that you aren't getting help from them. If that doesn't work, its time to take things into your own hands....Ive known of several poachers whose trucks had mysterious holes appear throughout the radiator and motor
Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

Yeah I put out a board with about a hundred nails in it I think I got someones 4 wheeler tires because it was uncovered and not where I had put it out, but I don't know for sure. Yeah its bad not feeling comfortable leaving stands and cameras out on your own land. About four years ago my dad and I caught a mother in a buick dropping her 14 year old son off at our locked gate. Aint that something. I havent caught anyone in person lately but their signs are there. It has come to shooting up trucks and bustin heads, its been going on way too long. Appreciate it fellas.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 AM
B&C 180 Class

just be careful of the repercussions of such actions .like arrest,death ,incarceration.i know tresspassers make us mad but ya got to be careful you dont cross the line and become a criminal yourself
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
B&C 100 Class

I do agree that there is a line that can be crossed that means you have gone too far. However, when all other options have been exhausted, what are you to do but defend your property. I don't like to think of people getting hurt by running over spike traps, but the simple point is, if they hadn't been tresspassing, they wouldn't get hurt.

...that line can b a little gray....how long and how much do you take... how much damage will you let be caused and how much money to be lost before you take actions into you own hands...

That is one reason I said to make sure you call the supervisors of the Game Wardens if they are being no help. If you document who you talked to, when, why, etc that can be used when you go to court (if it gets taken that far by someone). You can easily plead the case and show the proof that you had done all you could legally and nothing was being done.

You could still end up in some hot water but it all depends on what type of person you are as to how far you want to take things.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 AM
B&C 100 Class

In mississippi the law says something like a person can defend themselves with a weapon on their property if they feel that the trespasser intends to harm them. I'm not saying Ill shoot someone for trespassing because its not worth it on my concious and I am a Christian. But stands and cameras getting stolen is ridiculous. I think that is breaking the " man laws" to steal someones hunting stuff. If you want to be mean flirt with my wife, don't steal my hunting stuff.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM
B&C 180 Class

dont get wrong i hate tresspassers and do believe you have the right to protect yerself but most states laws frown on hurting someone over theft.I also want you to remember this a family site and some of our younger members may get the wrong ideas
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Yeah I ain't trying to set a bad example for any young hunters out there, I apologize for anything I said that could influence someone the wrong way. I wasn't meaning to do that.