Tracking - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Tracking

On Saturday i took a shot at a doe, she jumped just as i released causing the arrow to miss the kill mark. I hit her in the rear quarter. I tracked her for hours trying to either find her dead or to get another shot. Neither happened! While i was blood tracking, i came across another hunter that asked me if i was using a red light to find blood. I had no idea what he was talking about. Is this a technique i should practice or is he crazy? And what does the red light do? Does the red light work during daylight? I'm just sick that i left a wounded animal out there, but i know that i did everything that i know how to do. If this is a good technique, i would really appreciate knowing more about it. Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

Mckitay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

i had a red light given to me for that reason, but i have never used it.... didnt know if it would work. i would like to know it they do work also.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM

they say it helps but I have a red light and it didn't make any difference as far as I could tell.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have heard of this, but what I heard was that it has to be a mix of red and green light. Primos has a light that does that and when you shine it on blood it supposeidly makes the blood show up more vibrant against the ground.

I haven't heard of anyone who uses it but I was wanting to get my dad one for christmas since he has trouble seeing late evening and night
Old 10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

If I get one it will be the Primos BloodHunter Rechargeable Blood Hunter Trailing Spotlight

Red Light - for when you need a small area light that does not spook game and allows you to retain your night vision.

Green Light - for when you need a walking light that does not spook game animals and allows you to retain your night vision.

BLOODHUNTER Light - uses a patent pending technology that filters red and green light together to produce a light output that enhances the color red, making blood stand out.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter

Last edited by Whitetail_Freak_Hunter; 10-28-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
B&C 160 Class

i would think it would only help at night
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM

I think your right on the night thing. The light is susposed to highlight blood to see it easier. Never used one though. We have three seasoned trackers if needed.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM
B&C 180 Class

never used it was looking at the primos thing,try using a spray bottle of peroxide.you spray it on what you think is blood if it bubbles/foams up its blood
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default blood light

Gerber came out with a blood light several years ago. It is a mixture of colors and also has a flashlight combo. It does not do much in the day but at night if the blood is not real dry it really highlights it and makes it stand out more, at least to me. I have trouble with blood on different color leaves and sticks and stuff but with the light it does help. I have never tried the primos light but it has more l e ds directed to do the same thing that my gerber light does. The gerber light is about 50 bucks.