best day ever in the stand - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default best day ever in the stand

This is probaby an unusual story for this board, but I feel like I need to tell it anyway. Saturday I had the best sit I have ever had. I did not kill anything, or even draw my bow, but...well here's the story.

My nephew (Shane, 9 y/o) has been looking forward to hunting with me this year. He convinced me a couple months ago to get a double ladder stand to put up so that we could hunt together. I got the stand and put it up in one of the most reliable hunny holes in existence. This last weekend Shane was headed "home" to hunt so I prepared his gear and mine for an evening hunt on Saturday. It took some doing, but we finally were on our way to the stand. When we got to the canyon I noticed that we had some wind swirling and generally heading in the wrong direction. Sometimes the wind does wierd things in the canyons there. Anyway, since this place was not suitable to hunt that day we headed back to the jeep to try a different spot. For a long time I had a good idea to sit on a spot about 2 miles from where we were, so we headed that direction. The only problem was that I did not have a stand set up there. Shane and I loaded up all the equipment and some tree spikes and headed off to the "secret spot" as I had told him. Little did I know that it actually was a major deer transportation hub. We climbed up a huge burr oak tree and were getting set up on a couple limbs when Shane noticed a flock of turkeys headed our direction. I watched as he counted them go through an opening in the trees..."13...13 turkeys!" he says. He is stoked about the turkeys and watches them in the binoculars as they disappear into the brush. Not 5 minutes later I notice some movemet on a timber line about 100 yards to the East of us. Two does make their way to and over the fence (which totally amazed Shane). He said "look how those deer just jump right over" Again, totally stoked. The does made their way under some nearby oaks to eat acorns. Shortly after 3 more does came to join the two from earlier, and then came a pretty good buck. Well that really got him going...I had to hold on to him to keep him still. The buck (probably a low 130s 8pt with some stickers) came out and...well he chased and poked the does with his antlers. I don't know exactly what he was doing, but he acted like he was protecting his acorn patch. He proceded to chase off every approaching deer for the rest of the evening. He even chased off squirrels that tried to steal his acorns. I have never seen something like this before, and he put on a great show. There was one buck that came in from the west that I thought was going to square off with him, but as they got closer, the smaller 8 pt finally turned and ran (with the big buck chasing after him). I don't know how many deer tried to approach this oak stand, but he ran them all off (probably 20 - 25) I have never seen that many deer in a night of hunting in this area, and to share such a memorable hunt with Shane was the icing on the cake.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
B&C 100 Class

thats what its all about thats an experience Shane will have and talk about forever.I just hope he isnt to disappointed the first time he sits all evening and doesnt see anything.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 PM

Very cool.. Shane has seen more deer in an evening hunt than I ever have!!! Neat experience he want ever forget.

Your right Gator when he sits an all dayer he will be wondering what he is doing wrong if he dont see 30 deer.. LOL
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
B&C 160 Class

That's the kind of hunt that have him hooked for life. Hopefully that is the first of many hunt the two of you will have. Congrats
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

Sounds like a great day spent in the woods.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Yup, what you all said!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
B&C 180 Class

SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY TO ME AS WELL.HUNTING AINT ALWAYS ABOUT KILLING.YOU JUST PROVED IT WITH THAT STORY
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM

Great story, and the reason many of us are out there hunting. I got to share some time with my son doing those kinds of things. I will always cherish those times. Now he's 21 and dosen't need dad around, except for money!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
B&C 120 Class

Thumbs up

great experience for a young hunter!Wish someone had taken me when i was that young.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I got to share some time with my son doing those kinds of things. I will always cherish those times. Now he's 21 and dosen't need dad around, except for money!!!!!

I'm at the other end of this HM...My son is 7 months old now, but I hope in a few years he wants to hunt with me.