Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Where to get game meat... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/2624-where-get-game-meat.html)

Lonewolfblue 10-16-2008 11:07 PM

Where to get game meat...

I was just wondering how to go about getting scraps from hunters for my dogs. I usually get a little bit from a friend each year, but would like to get more, as I feed my dogs a raw diet. The scraps also includes some organs as well. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get more?

wmi 10-17-2008 06:14 AM

Learn to hunt.:pickle:

BruceBruce1959 10-17-2008 06:35 AM

Find out who processes deer each hunting season and go see him, (the butcher) I'm sure he'd be willing to help you with your need.

buckfever 10-17-2008 09:36 AM

Where you live???

Hunting Man 10-17-2008 10:55 AM

Just a question, why the raw diet? With all the bad things being reported in deer seems like a gamble on feeding the dogs the raw meat.

Whitetail_Freak_Hunter 10-17-2008 11:42 AM

We've had people feed they're dogs a raw diet of deer around here, and the dogs take a liking to it. But what makes matters worse is that the dogs then become a problem to those who have their deer hanging. The dogs then think they have a meal on the swing.

I once went after a dog that loved venison that I found eating on my deer in the back of my truck.

Cook your dogs venison instead of feeding it raw venison.

joel the signman 10-17-2008 01:50 PM

like it was said learn to hunt or hang around the deer processors.Its illegal to sell wild game meat in NY not sure if thats a federal law as well

Lonewolfblue 10-17-2008 08:14 PM

Well, for one thing, I don't hunt, and don't want to hunt. I much prefer fishing than hunting. I live in Wenatchee, WA, and don't know of too many butchers other than the butchers in the grocery stores like Safeway. And I think most people here clean their own deer, and not the butchers. That friend of mine does his own, as well as the other friends he hunts with, they do it together, and I get the scraps. I just don't know anyone else who hunts. Nobody at where I work hunts either, only for birds with his bird dog.

As for the meat, deer is really good for dogs. I don't just feed deer either, just wanting to get enough to feed on and off through the year. I'll be doing beef, fish, chicken, and turkey as well. But I can get all those at the grocery stores. Also, since I live in town, no issues with my dogs going after deer hanging on swings, lol.

joel the signman 10-17-2008 08:41 PM

well go to a local sporting good/hunting store and ask where you can get a deer processed .they usually have a few names/numbers to hand out.most butchers have to pay to get rid of the scraps or make the hunters take em so you may hit paydirt.ask around or call your local game dept they may know some processors,almost all states do a hunters for the hungry so they have places to drop the deer

Hunting Man 10-17-2008 11:22 PM

I think you can sign on in some areas to be called on fresh road kills. In Ohio the local police/sherrif goes through a call out list till someone responds to pick it up. I would however, cook all meat fed to my dogs especially fresh road kills. My labs get very few extras but never raw meat.