Where to get game meat... - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 AM
ronn

i'm interested in the reasons for raw meat diet. i would never feed my dogs deer where they are hunting dogs and i don't what them to get a taste for deer. i'm would also be concerned about any raw meat because i would think their resistance to diseases would have been bred out of them with humans manipulation of the breeds. just wondering why raw meat.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 PM

I'm with you one this one, I asked same question. I would be afraid the dogs would pick up something not good and require $$$ vet bills.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
i'm interested in the reasons for raw meat diet. i would never feed my dogs deer where they are hunting dogs and i don't what them to get a taste for deer. i'm would also be concerned about any raw meat because i would think their resistance to diseases would have been bred out of them with humans manipulation of the breeds. just wondering why raw meat.
Actually, raw is better than many dry dog foods on the market, as long as you get proper portions of meat, organs, and bone. And the resistance to diseases has not been bred out of them. In humans, the stomach consists of about 20-25% acid, where dogs it's about 50%. This is why they can eat what they can eat and not get sick. And you are worried about a dog getting sick by a raw diet? What about when they lick their butts? There's a thousand times the amount of bacteria, etc, and they don't get sick from that. Then there's dogs that come across dead rodents that have been sitting for who knows how long, and they just scarf it down if you don't catch them before hand, and they still don't get sick.

As for the deer meat, it is excellent for dogs, as well as other meats. And if a person is really worried about it, the deer meat can be frozen for a minimum of 30 days before feeding it to them. But it's not necessary. Also, I don't own any hunting dogs either. Mine are all herding dogs, a Cattle Dog, a Border Collie, and a Sheltie. I'm slowly moving them over to a completely raw diet, you don't want to shock their system by just completely shifting over. Also, when dogs are on wet or dry dog foods, you really should be brushing the teeth often, even if they have lots of things to chew on. But with the dogs that I know that are on a 100% raw diet with raw bones, their teeth are in perfect condition, and they don't brush either. The raw meat provides the enzymes that help prevent tartar, etc. And the bones also help in scraping the teeth clean as well.

As for the other info, thanks for the ideas on the hunting shops, etc. I'll have to ask around. Much appreciated.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:44 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Deer guts

All you should have to do is find out where your tagging stations are. This could be Game and Fish offices or local gas stations and hang up a sign. Nobody wants this stuff around the deer camp and if you could meet the local hunters at the tagging station you could get more than you would need for years.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:48 AM
B&C 120 Class

On a second note that would also allow you to get to know the deer hunters in your area. They may as well be trappers or varmint hunters and be able to supply you with a variation of different meats for your dogs diet. At least that way it would not be the same and could be mixed up with store bought and wild more often.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Im guessing your avatar is a pic of your cattle dog? Gorgeous dogs. My pup is an Australian Cattle Dog Australian Shepard Mix. She's pretty, but she has waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much energy for one animal to have. And she does eat pretty much everything. I cant get her to leave toads alone around the house. Just gets Pedigree from me though.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill