Nature's call - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Nature's call

Hey all,

I read over previous threads but haven't seen this question asked yet. I may be over-thinking things, but I want to make sure I have all aspects of scent control right.

While scouting the other day, my morning coffee caught up with me and I had to take care of business. Everyone I'm sure knows how strong the odor of coffee tinged urine is (if you don't, it's nothing like roses) and I'm wondering how this affects scent control.

Will taking a leak (with or without coffee in the system) around my site alert deer to my presence? Can I take care of business without having to take steps like pissing into a bottle and hauling it out at the end of the day?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

That's a good question...I never worry about it. I have in the last few years heard talk of people pee'n in bottles or whatever, but don't think I have read anything about it. I say play the wind and don't worry about it, but I guess we will both be awaiting answers from others who may have some insight.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 10-17-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

This subject can draw some debate. I am a big coffee drinker and I use a big gatorade bottle myself when in a treestand. When on the ground I dig a hole in the earth and create my own personal little kiddie pool and proceed to cover up.

Some people claim that deer cannot tell the diff between human pee and pee from other animals so they let loose on the yellow stuff everywhere.

Some people claim that deer's noses are so keen they can pick up the pheromones within the urine and determine that the urine was from a predator. Some hunters change there diet prior to hunting to get around this. Just pee in a bottle and continue eating what you want...right. Why take chances. A little preperation can go a long ways. I do hold off on garlic, onions, jerky because that comes right out your pores.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 PM
B&C 160 Class

Being a beliver in no scent left behind I have been known to empty my water bottle for just that reason.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:55 PM
ronn

bottle for sure. heck i used my water bottle after drinking the water then a few mins later... yup you guessed it had to go again. so i dumped the scent killer and used that bottle for my business.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

So have yall read somewhere that human pee will spook deer, or are you just paranoid?
Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Scrub Buck

For what it's worth, I used to be a bottle man myself. two years ago I took my 13 year old daughter to one of my favorite spots. We were both in the stand together. After about two hours of sitting, the coffee kicked in. The bottle wasn't an option with her sitting there, so I decided to climb down. At this time I was thinking I just blew her chance of bagging one. I walked about 40 yards away and relieved myself. I climbed back in the stand and thought we were waisting our time. Not fifteen minutes later two does walked to the exact spot where I had just peed. After a couple of minutes they just wondered off. Just behind them came a nice tall eigtht point. It walked to the exact spot I just peed and smelled that spot. He stood there long enough for my daughter to take aim and take the shot. What I thought was a ruined hunt turned into one of the best days Ive ever had. Theres nothing like watching one of your kids take their first deer and a very nice one at that.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Scrub Buck

Default bottle or bag

I have to agree with most of the other posters. I bring a bottle or ziplock bag. Here in MN the wind shifts throughout the day. 2 years ago I was caught with my pants down..literally. A sneaky doe came up behind me while I was in my stand taking care of business. Short of winking at her there wasn't much I could do.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

why take the chance? btw an aquafina 1 litre bottle with the wide mouth works great!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM
B&C 120 Class

Bahahahaha, Ok sorry to laugh bahahaha