Nature's call - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Nature's call

Hey all,

I read over previous threads but haven't seen this question asked yet. I may be over-thinking things, but I want to make sure I have all aspects of scent control right.

While scouting the other day, my morning coffee caught up with me and I had to take care of business. Everyone I'm sure knows how strong the odor of coffee tinged urine is (if you don't, it's nothing like roses) and I'm wondering how this affects scent control.

Will taking a leak (with or without coffee in the system) around my site alert deer to my presence? Can I take care of business without having to take steps like pissing into a bottle and hauling it out at the end of the day?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

That's a good question...I never worry about it. I have in the last few years heard talk of people pee'n in bottles or whatever, but don't think I have read anything about it. I say play the wind and don't worry about it, but I guess we will both be awaiting answers from others who may have some insight.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 10-17-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

This subject can draw some debate. I am a big coffee drinker and I use a big gatorade bottle myself when in a treestand. When on the ground I dig a hole in the earth and create my own personal little kiddie pool and proceed to cover up.

Some people claim that deer cannot tell the diff between human pee and pee from other animals so they let loose on the yellow stuff everywhere.

Some people claim that deer's noses are so keen they can pick up the pheromones within the urine and determine that the urine was from a predator. Some hunters change there diet prior to hunting to get around this. Just pee in a bottle and continue eating what you want...right. Why take chances. A little preperation can go a long ways. I do hold off on garlic, onions, jerky because that comes right out your pores.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
B&C 160 Class

Being a beliver in no scent left behind I have been known to empty my water bottle for just that reason.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
ronn

bottle for sure. heck i used my water bottle after drinking the water then a few mins later... yup you guessed it had to go again. so i dumped the scent killer and used that bottle for my business.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

So have yall read somewhere that human pee will spook deer, or are you just paranoid?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

Haven't tried them out yet but I got what they call the "Spare Bladder" from Cabelas. Pouch looking thing that is filled with some type of powder that when you go in it it turns it to gel. They are resealable so when your done zip it up and throw it in your pack and pitch it when you get back to camp. I think I got 4 in the box for $10 or $11. They are supposed to be scent tight and they have a little hole at the top to hang from the tree if needed
Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
B&C 160 Class

I have heard both ways. Maybe one deer won't care and maybe another will. Why take the chance------Take it with you and then it won't matter.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj View Post
So have yall read somewhere that human pee will spook deer, or are you just paranoid?
No, I haven't read anything like that. In fact, I haven't read anything at all on the topic when the discussion is about scent control. That's why I wanted to tap the knowledge base here to see if it is something to be concerned about.

However, after a couple cups of coffee, it's enough to spook me! So as Rozman62 said, "A little preperation can go a long ways."
Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
B&C 160 Class

i keep a pee bottle on my pack belt,,,,if its not on the ground deer cant smell it....why give them a reason to think about it....i have seen a friend spill a gal or more a few weeks worth,down the ladder of his stand,,the next morning i did see two doe smelling the ladder...i dont know what they would of thought the day before. but i wouldnt want a good buck to hesitate...same friend now smokes and pees off stand no deer kill in 6 years