Deer Hunting Forums banner

Nature's call

8K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  muleskinner 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I read over previous threads but haven't seen this question asked yet. I may be over-thinking things, but I want to make sure I have all aspects of scent control right. :lol:

While scouting the other day, my morning coffee caught up with me and I had to take care of business. Everyone I'm sure knows how strong the odor of coffee tinged urine is (if you don't, it's nothing like roses) and I'm wondering how this affects scent control.

Will taking a leak (with or without coffee in the system) around my site alert deer to my presence? Can I take care of business without having to take steps like pissing into a bottle and hauling it out at the end of the day? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
This subject can draw some debate. I am a big coffee drinker and I use a big gatorade bottle myself when in a treestand. When on the ground I dig a hole in the earth and create my own personal little kiddie pool and proceed to cover up.

Some people claim that deer cannot tell the diff between human pee and pee from other animals so they let loose on the yellow stuff everywhere.

Some people claim that deer's noses are so keen they can pick up the pheromones within the urine and determine that the urine was from a predator. Some hunters change there diet prior to hunting to get around this. Just pee in a bottle and continue eating what you want...right. Why take chances. A little preperation can go a long ways. I do hold off on garlic, onions, jerky because that comes right out your pores.

#9 ·
No, I haven't read anything like that. In fact, I haven't read anything at all on the topic when the discussion is about scent control. That's why I wanted to tap the knowledge base here to see if it is something to be concerned about.

However, after a couple cups of coffee, it's enough to spook me! So as Rozman62 said, "A little preperation can go a long ways."

#7 ·
Haven't tried them out yet but I got what they call the "Spare Bladder" from Cabelas. Pouch looking thing that is filled with some type of powder that when you go in it it turns it to gel. They are resealable so when your done zip it up and throw it in your pack and pitch it when you get back to camp. I think I got 4 in the box for $10 or $11. They are supposed to be scent tight and they have a little hole at the top to hang from the tree if needed

#10 ·
i keep a pee bottle on my pack belt,,,,if its not on the ground deer cant smell it....why give them a reason to think about it....i have seen a friend spill a gal or more a few weeks worth,down the ladder of his stand,,the next morning i did see two doe smelling the ladder...i dont know what they would of thought the day before. but i wouldnt want a good buck to hesitate...same friend now smokes and pees off stand no deer kill in 6 years

#12 ·
i used to pee in a bottle now i just pee off the stand i swear i see more deer know.maybe i should bottle and sell it:biggrin:

#14 ·
"When a mans gotta go, a mans gotta go" and along with Joel I don't think it's a problem.
I've had deer walk right into the area just after I went 15 or 20 minutes earlier BUT I usually try to go before I get into the woods.

As a matter of fact last tuesday and I have witnesses to this, I was doing my "I gotta go dance" and the 2 guys I was hunting with headed into their spots.
As they left, I relieved myself just before heading in myself. As I started to walk into the woods I spotted 3 doe's quartering away
(those doe's were about 70 yards from where we split up, not spooked at all)
I decided to only go in about 20 yards. Well about 2 hours later (right about sunset) I had a "HUGE Racked Buck" (maybe 10 or 12 points) come into about 60 yards from where I pee'd a couple hours earlier BUT the buck never offered a shot, he managed to stay tucked behind a lot of new growth the stuff a bullet can't even make it thru and I was bowhunting, he browsed for about 5 or 6 minutes and All I could do was watch it walk off. :mad: But that's ok because I know where he lives now!

#15 ·
#16 ·
I put a might as well say a small bathroom in my shack lol.its a 4ft piece of 3/4 in.black pvc pipe with a funnel hooked with (plug for the smell) to one end.then on the outside i dug a hole big enough for a 5 gal pail.drilled some holes on the bottom.layered sand and gravel in the pail put pvc pipe in bucket coverd it up with dirt and wallah!!mini septic.sence i sit all day from dark to dark.i bring in a Big thermous full of coffee and some drinks and of course some lunch & snacks lol.works excellent!!

#18 ·
For what it's worth, I used to be a bottle man myself. two years ago I took my 13 year old daughter to one of my favorite spots. We were both in the stand together. After about two hours of sitting, the coffee kicked in. The bottle wasn't an option with her sitting there, so I decided to climb down. At this time I was thinking I just blew her chance of bagging one. I walked about 40 yards away and relieved myself. I climbed back in the stand and thought we were waisting our time. Not fifteen minutes later two does walked to the exact spot where I had just peed. After a couple of minutes they just wondered off. Just behind them came a nice tall eigtht point. It walked to the exact spot I just peed and smelled that spot. He stood there long enough for my daughter to take aim and take the shot. What I thought was a ruined hunt turned into one of the best days Ive ever had. Theres nothing like watching one of your kids take their first deer and a very nice one at that.

#19 ·
Years ago, I along with several friends did trips into the Bob Marshall Wilderness here in Montana. Our camps were crude but very livable and of course nature had alot of callings. A certain area away from the main camp beyond the horses was where I would relieve myself against a tree.

Now the next day when light came can you imagine the sight when you see a deer licking the bark and ground from where you done urinated? That's right man it brought the dear in like had had spread some "C'Mere Deer" all over the place.

I have never worried about it after that.

#20 ·
bottle or bag

I have to agree with most of the other posters. I bring a bottle or ziplock bag. Here in MN the wind shifts throughout the day. 2 years ago I was caught with my pants down..literally. A sneaky doe came up behind me while I was in my stand taking care of business. Short of winking at her there wasn't much I could do.

#23 · (Edited)
Well all I have to say is when I asked this question to one of the best trophy whitetail hunters in the country while in ILL, Randy Grawe he just looked at me and said NO, your kidding right. My reply was of course.:whistling: The no by the way was FIRM. I was not going to discuss it any further especially with a guy that could turn me into a pretzel.LOL :whistling: Ron can back me on this one. LOL I'll stick to the bottle.

#26 ·
OH YES I have read articles about him and yes I think they were in Bow and bow hunter.
I wasn't trying to be arguementative, I just enjoy reading about the pro's and how each one views certain aspects of hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.