Non TMA treestands - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Non TMA treestands

what do guys think about buying tree stands that are not tma certified?
i was looking at the treewalker climbers and the equalizer climber but niether one is certified and it kinda makes me wonder why they are not and if it really matters. This is one i am looking at

TREEWALKER Treestands are super lightweight aluminum, portable climbing treestands. The Promag series two piece climbing tree stands feature the comfortable EasyGlide™ adjustable treestand seat.
nice and roomy,light,good looking stand but not TMA certified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
B&C 180 Class

well why arent they certified.the few $ you save may cost you your life
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 AM

That's great that they are american made and they look pretty comfy. But the question is why aren't they TMA certified? Warranties and more importantly safety may be on the line. Myself, I would only go TMA certified because they are the safety experts with the last word.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskissguy View Post
i was looking at the treewalker climbers and the equalizer climber but niether one is certified and it kinda makes me wonder why they are not and if it really matters. This is one i am looking at
TREEWALKER Treestands are super lightweight aluminum, portable climbing treestands. The Promag series two piece climbing tree stands feature the comfortable EasyGlide™ adjustable treestand seat.
Equalizer IS certified. I'm not 100% positive but I think That they all have to be to be sold to the public. I will check and verify this today and get back to you.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskissguy View Post
I am familiar with this stand. It is a good stand but problems that I've heard are about warranty and the teeth on the stand. They tend to bend if banged against hard objects ie in the bed of your truck, storage in your garage,etc... This stand is lite however the upper section is not all welded and tends to creek a little over time. Quality is along with say API which is also a great stand. The teeth also tend to stick in the bark of a tree causing more damage to the tree compared to other types of climbers. All in all it still is a great stand.
TMA is a something the BIG boys put together for two reasons. 1 is to benefit the consumer with a testing program showing the stand will support the weight stated by the manufacturer. 2 is so the big boys can see the competitions product and take advantage of the small guys lack of patents. It is really a money thing more or less. It costs money to join and the money is based upon company gross revenues much like ABC is to contractors. That being said it is up to you the buyer to really inspect your choice. Not meaning to push Equalizer but that stand is rated for 350 however it has been tested to 800lbs. Like everyone I like a lite stand but have found that as in cars comfort cost you a little in weight as well as dollars. The best advice I can give you is pay very close attention to all of the small details and I am sure your choice will be a good one. Be an educated buyer and you will be fine.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
B&C 160 Class

I needed to make another point that most do not know. TMA use to state that it was TMA Certified now it is stated as TMA Approved. The reason for this is an individual sued TMA and the Tree Stand manufacturer for a tree stand failure so they changed to approved. This being said it does not warranty or guarantee you against a failure. Like I stated before it is up to you the buyer to inspect and research your choice in stand WELL before you buy. TMA uses a private company to test stands and any manufacture can use this company without being a member. TMA is owned by the big boys Summit, API, etc... and others are just invited to be a member for a annual fee. It does not mean that whomever's stand has not been tested by this company. I did check and Equalizer is no longer a member because of this law suit and that TMA just left this other company out to dry (I do not know who the company was but is one of the larger manufactures). Not sure if all of this helps but is good to know.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Scrub Buck

thanks for the info,thats what i kinda thought about tma, price wasnt a consideration in these stands as both of these cost more than the apis and summits. i just really liked the room and light wieght.
i see these $60 gorilla climbers and to me they look scary,and they are tma certified,and then i see the equalizer and treewalker,which appear to be very well made safe stands and they are not certified just kinda made me wonder why,i think you have answered my ?
still if i bought one of these i would want to see one in person first.
the climber i have been using for 20 years was built in a guys garage in alabama and bought at an outdoor show in ms,its an old type stand with adjustable arms that go around the tree,it is a very stable stand that is safe and very easy and quick getting on the tree and it works very well,only problem is it weighs about 30 pounds,and as im getting a little older those 1/2 to 1 mile walks with it on my back are getting harder so i want a lighter stand but with the stability and safety that im used to.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 AM
B&C 180 Class

i believe i saw this stand at a hunting show here in Ny .solid looking ,i hunt state land and the rules state no damage to the tree.if this is the stand i think it is ,the vsection against the tree was 1/2,3/8 tek screws.Also i have welded a lot of steel in my day,certifications are a way to say hey all these welds are good.Im getting the impression that this is turning into"us against them"3-4posts and now your pushing a certain stand and bad mouthing a certified stand.HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....the BS meter is starting to ring
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-11-2008, 04:57 AM

I don't think one needs a college degree to look at quality construction vs junk and know the difference. Thin expanded mesh steel grating will rust and the thin welds will break at some point. I have yet to have an aluminum welded stand break and oviously there's no rust issue. I have steel ladder stands that need a lot more maintenance than aluminum. I do use both though. Again, as I have often said, quality comes at a slightly higher price. Compare the quality, make your decision based on safety first, then budget. I don't put much faith in so called independant co's opinions, stamping ect. That's the view from here.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:49 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
i believe i saw this stand at a hunting show here in Ny .solid looking ,i hunt state land and the rules state no damage to the tree.if this is the stand i think it is ,the vsection against the tree was 1/2,3/8 tek screws.Also i have welded a lot of steel in my day,certifications are a way to say hey all these welds are good.Im getting the impression that this is turning into"us against them"3-4posts and now your pushing a certain stand and bad mouthing a certified stand.HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....the BS meter is starting to ring
Not hardly Joel. The man asked for info and I gave him the right/correct answer. Take it or leave it.