Active Scrape - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM

I tend to use scent wicks up to 4 at a time, which can be moved easily. On ocassion I will make a mock scrape if I can't find real ones. I like to locate small pocket openings where your shot is 25 yds and you have background cover and two or more trails intersec. These are normally secluded feeding route trails and bucks like making scrapes there under pines and hemlocks. We find repeat scrape locations even though mr buck was taken, so I think these type of scrapes have more importance to them than simply finding new scrapes. Anyone else hunt over scrapes that are always in the same location?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM
B&C 160 Class

Boy HM that is a big complicated subject. Keeping it brief this time of year community scrapes are always good. As for breeding scrapes not that much but more of the bedding areas associated with them and/or the funnel areas of travel corridors. I love seeing them but my success with mature bucks has been limited do to most are worked under the cover of darkness. I use them as more of a sign post that a buck is using the area at that time in conjunction with trail cams to help gauge time of travel in hopes of pinpointing his bedding location.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM

wmi, wish I had that cam action to help out. The only advantage I have is in hunting the same area 34 years. When I only have 1-1/2 weeks to bow hunt it, I need to be quick on finding a nice buck. I key in on scrape & rub lines in those small pocket areas where the bucks may show up in hunting hours. Tying in natural funnels,feeding trails, and buck travel routes is about all I can use at this time. PA hunting camp is 5 hours drive, too far(cost) to utalize cams for my use. They may be good to use as soon as I get my stand up (if legal during season in PA) to see what grade buck I'm on prior to actually seeing him.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
ronn

I didn't see where WMI mentioned we were on a scrape line and we were. What he said is the way it happened. with that said I think they, scents, will all work when that deer is interested in the smell and if its isn't interested, scents won't work. Sounds simple but I think its true of all scents.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
B&C 120 Class

I hunt Hammondsport/Urbana areas of Stuebin Co.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Nice country out there
untill we hunted Hi - Tor I think that was rougher then where I hunt here