Chiggers, need I say more? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Scrub Buck

for chiggers and super small seed ticks i just found that ammonia works for the itching very well. dab on with a cotton ball 2-3 times a day as needed, it may burn a little if any are scratched open or the skin is raw but the burn goes a way quickly and the itch with it. I have had some horriable time with these things over the last 3 years and this is the only thing i have found that gives real relief. also dont wash it off let it dry on you it didn't burn or iritate my skin like i thought it would. good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Last 2 posts were good tips. I live in TN as well and fight these every year. I will try the ammonia next time.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Default cigger x

you can get it at wal mart at the farmancy it works and will heal the sore iv used it for yrs
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

when ever I come home from hunting or scouting I run a bath and put bleach in it.I sit in the bleach water and use a cup to pour it over my head.making sure it covers ever were.soak for a few min.if you have any of any size on you you will see them floating dead in the water.Bleach really puts it on them.Then I take a shower.Have not found any ticks on me since Ive been doing this.Kinda funny how the smallest of critters can cause so much problems
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Chiggers are are simple thing to get rid of, the bite...maybe not so much.

The itchy bump that is left in the skin is basically a spot where the saliva of the chigger has made a hard tube (basically a straw; thats also why the bump is harder than other bites) and the suck the blood (for simplicity) through it.

Tips I learned while working in the field all this summer:

1. Duct Tape can help A LOT. Tape your pants to your shoes or socks. This can help cut down on both the ticks and chiggers.

2. Spray down with promethrin or deet. Btw, use as directed because it will help more. Word is Vanderbilt just came out with a revolutionary bug spray that will beat out deet and promethrin by leaps and bounds but it will take a few years to get safety certification.

3. Chiggers actually take a while to form the itchy bite (few hours) so one great way of keeping from getting ate up is keep a towel in your truck and rub down with it after you leave the field. Chiggers have extremely weak mouth parts so they will fall off with the slightest brush.

4. After chiggers attach one time, they can't attach again. Therefore once you rub them off they die...thats about the only solice I can offer.

For the bites:

1. It takes time for your body to break down that "straw" that was made. So you are stuck with it for a while. Scratching it till it bleeds can actually lead to an infection.

2. Anti-itch cream can help for the time you have the bites. Bleach SHOULD NOT be poured on the bumps because if gets into the blood it can become a severe health problem
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Unregistered

Talking sasquatch itch cream for chiggers (off label use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutzdigger View Post
Whats your remedey? I mean after you spraydown and still get eat up, scratch, scratch, scratch

Sasquatch Itch Cream - it's for poison oak but works like crazy on chiggers. Burns a little if you've already dug at your skin until it bleeds though--just a couple of seconds.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote