attractant scents - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 PM
ronn

Default attractant scents

I, like most people, try attractant scents. Although my head tells me not to use them sometimes, I have seen them work. I don't know if there is any real Estrus scents that works the way they are advertised but I have seen deer come into them. I do think that interdigital scent works well if the deer that comes across it decides to follow up. I also like to use Tarsal gland, preferably one from a buck that a buddy shot. The so called "sex scents" I'm unsure of, do they just smell like a deer so deer come to check things out or do the bucks really think there is a hot doe over there. I don't know. Both the interdig and the tarsal work throughout the season. I use to use Pete Rickard's interdig and the tarsal from a real buck. this season I'm trying foggy mountain interdig and tarsal scents. as for a "sex scent" I like Roger Raglin's 150 and that active scrape. What do you all think?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM

ronn, one thing I never use is a food attraction scent. Don't know if they work or not. I do use the estrus doe inheat scents as I hunt the rut exclusively in PA. I have seen bucks not give the scent any responce and then presto he comes in to the scent knocks it off the hanging branch or opens the scrape under it. I have gotten into the mock scrape thing and using some buck scent. I do wonder about the deer farms producing the scents and how honest the practice is. If the farm is from the south does it affect northern deer or is a deer a deer? Code Blue seems to work the best for me followed by Golden Estrus.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've never had much luck using the tarsal gland fresh from a deer or a bottle. The doe in heat stuff I have used with sucess until everyone uses it. I try to use something different. I look and see what walmart has on the shelf and stay away from it. Seems like everyone you see has a bottle of it. I use raglins 150 and I also use pete richards interdigital scent. I've never seen the pete richards interdigital scent spook a deer. I think it arouses curiosity. The 150 will stop them, make em hang around and not spook em. Around here if you threw a bottle of tinks 69 on the ground, every deer in the woods will run like its Irish Spring Soap.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
ronn

try inter-digital some time. it doesn't cause fear in any deer and does will follow it as well as bucks and i don't have to tell you where the bucks are during the rut. so if you can get a doe to come by well....... you could use them in concert, inter-digital and "sex scents" which is what maniac 150 is. the 155 is a sex scent with tarsal scent and is made to pull in the big bucks cause the little ones are suppose to be afraid of a fight. inter-digital is a good drag rag scent and i do the same with the tarsal scent sometimes. Pre-rut tarsal works because the bucks are setting there pecking order and they want to know who the stranger is. Foggy mountain is a PA company. Dicks Sporting goods carries that 150 and 155 or you can get it on line from Roger Raglin Outdoors.com. I also don't use a food attractant scents. That goes back to my thought about that food doesn't belong there thinking. And I'm not bored. grin
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM

Me either!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

You guys know what my favorite is. Pete's does work too. Never use cover scents of any kind or food type scents. Oh and HM me 3.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

One other thing I've been doing lately is using two or three different manufacture's scents at each scrape. Thought is to give the bucks several doe scents and cause them to come to the scrape to try and figure things out. Maybe I'm the confused one but it seems to work some of the time, and does will visit without being overly causious (spelling?) oops. Quite a few scrapes are on normal travel routes especially in dense areas but the bucks will come in from small hidden side routes, most times these are the ones I try to locate and set up on with the scrape(s) within bow range. I guess I'd call this pocket hunting, nothing new just discussion points.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 PM

I use alot of products from Peter Fiduccia. He had products available with Pete Rickards line but never renewed their contract so he has a site called In-Scents.com in which there are many types of cover,food, and attractant scents. I guess I'm hooked on that stuff because his company is based in NY and most of his exp is with the Northern climate and all that.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Scrub Buck

vanilla extract and water. mix it 4 parts water 1 part vanilla.....
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 AM
B&C 140 Class

Are you an old trapper Rick? Basic reciepe for a trapper you have there.