Gun Safes - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 AM

Default Gun Safes

Looking for input on buying a gun safe. I've put this off for too long and need to invest in one. I would appreciate members experience in purchased safes and comments you might have, thanks HM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
B&C 160 Class

i dont have one.if its a big one.work out delivery,,,,,that is the problem........
Old 09-07-2008, 04:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

ive got about a 400 dollar save and it gets the job done but i worry about fire and someone breaking into it even though it says its fireproof but so far i havent had any problems with either thank the lord. but i would go with something more expensive about the 6-8 hundred dollar range.

work to live
live to hunt...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a Liberty Colonial and I like it. The only real advice I can give is to decide what kind of locking device you want (digital or tumbler type) and then buy the biggest one you can afford. You'd be surprised how much stuff you'll end up puting in there.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 PM

Berk, any advantages on the tumblers? What happens when the battery dies on the electronic tumbler do you have to call a lock smith to open the safe or just replace the battery? Appreciate the comments.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

I believe that when the batteries die you just replace them. The ones I looked at if you were going out of town or something you could just pull the battery pack out and no one could get in even with the combination. I have one with the regular dial tumblers and sometimes it is a pain in the but. There's a little more to it than opening your old locker at school. It's nothing crazy just takes a little getting used to. Once its opened you can take a key and lock the dial so if your going to be getting in and out of it a few times you don't have unlock it every time. The digital was more expensive was really the only reason I didn't get it. I got it at Buckeye Outdoors for around 1300 to 1400 delivered I think. I know once you got over a certain price delivery was free. Like I said though gt the biggest safe you can afford because this safe is pretty big and its already full. My six year old nephew is happy he's already getting some hand me downs to make room.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks Berk for the info, this will my Christmas present to me this year.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Scrub Buck

Hi mate, I just got myself a 14 Rifle vault from Buffalo Creek - it's a heavy thing so was a bit of a drama to get it into position (upstairs) but with an electronic cypher-pad and upto 6-digit password, I can open it quickly without the need for keys!

The down side with it is that the keys for the internal ammo safe are a bit lightweight and I've already twisted one in half!

Other than that though, I'm delighted with it!

Cheers

Roo
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
B&C 100 Class

i have a cannon fireproof safe with key and tumblers. not sure of the size but its big and heavy. with a good strong dolly and four guys we moved it up a flight of steps without a problem. my advice is not to let the weight discourage you, and like was said before, get the biggest one you can afford, they fill up with valuables, other than guns, before you know it! also, the key and tumbler doesn't bother me as i don't get into it every day! good luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
B&C 140 Class

I agree with DD buy a big one. I didn't and now I own 4. Would have been much cheaper to buy the one big one than 4 mediums. What a piece of mind when I'm not home or on vacation for a long period of time. Passports, jewelery, documents-----way more convenient that a safety deposit box.