The Rutting Moon? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 AM

Default The Rutting Moon?

Does anyone use the moons phases to determine a Bucks rutting activity? If not, how do you determine the rut ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 AM

I just don't like full moon during the rut. I really like those misty mornings and overcast days. I do look at scrape activity and doe behavior when bucks are trailing/near. When the does rear leg glands are black/dark its time. The bucks rear glands also will have turned black from urine. I know some hunters swear by those date and prime movement charts. I tend to watch the deer as they will reveal what's happening.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 AM

I just base everything on the TV shows and books. So the "experts" kind of tell me when it's good to hunt for bucks moving around. Kinda weird, some stranger on TV saying when it's a good time to hunt in your area.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
I just base everything on the TV shows and books. So the "experts" kind of tell me when it's good to hunt for bucks moving around. Kinda weird, some stranger on TV saying when it's a good time to hunt in your area.
Yea, last year I was watching Deer & Deer Hunting and some guy was estimating on what day the rut was really going to 'pick up' and he was right - they remind me of Weather Men
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
B&C 180 Class

that guy is Charlie Alshimer and hes been studying deer for 20+ years.he has a farm in upstate NY.he does amazing photography of deer.He works for deer and deer hunting magazine .which is by far the best one of all the deer mags.the rutting moon is the second full moon after the fall equinox this year it will be nov 13th.the chase phase of the rut will be from the 13th to 27th Of course weather and human contact can alter deer behaviorBy the way the pre rut will start oct 14th and run into the full blown rut.Yet another reason to bow hunt
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Awesome Joel, you're the man!! you're right on with those dates and according to the Rutting moon
the "peak rut" is going to be Nov. 20th this year the "rut" will start 12 days before the "peak rut" so the rut will start on Nov. 8th
it will end 12 days after "peak rut" which will be Dec 2nd this year.

Note: the pre rut starts on the first full moon after the fall equinox which this year is Oct. 14th

I think this is going to be a banner year for Youth hunters

Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

I personally don't think the rut is based on the full moon cycle. The peak rut here falls more or less at the same time each year. Within a few days anyway. The hunters moon does not. I do think the full moon affects deer movement, big time. And rutting behavior as well. As hunters in the field we see only a small window of what the deer are doing in a 24 hour period. Full moons affecting deer movement can give us a misconception of what's going on if we aren't careful.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
B&C 180 Class

there is a different time line for the south,i only know the northern one.the reason has to do with the difference in sunlight i believe,never paid attetion because it didnt effect me
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-23-2008, 06:44 PM
B&C 160 Class

its very hard to tell when are rut is on down here ...its usually hot...it gets strung out
Old 08-23-2008, 08:04 PM
ronn

on that list of books there was hunting deer by the moon and moon struck. they deal with this very topic. interesting reads whether you buy into it or not. i do. i think the heat and weather play a role along with hunting pressure and some other things that are also addressed in these books. i think the rut falls according to the moon but if the weather is hot then it may appear different or strung out if you will. most of the top guys that have studied deer will say that the moon does dictate the rut. the rut is mainly run by the does. the bucks are ready to breed when they are hard horned its the girls that say ok or not ok.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote