The Rutting Moon? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

Yea Ron, thats what I've gathered. Bucks are ready and waiting on the does. Dr James Kroll wrote that the timing of the Hunters moon appearence to peak rutting date determined wether the rut was intense or spreadout or trickle rut as he called it. Actual amount of darkness in a night was the key. That's why the moon had an influence. Full moon gives alot of light confusing the situation. In his book he told of an experiment they did on deer in a controlled light situation. They could affect the timing of receptiveness but not control it. It was interesting stuff. I agree the moon has an effect, but does not dictate it. There was also some work on northern deer vs southern deer. That was an eye opener also. One thing for sure, if there's a full moon deer won't move well in the morning. They'll move late and mid day better. I'll be out there for all of it regardless, grins.........
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up

Check out the rut report on versuscountry.com. There is a lot of good info on the rut. I think Joel is right on for the north. Man, I'm getting pumped up for this season. Ohio opens archery on the Sept 27th this year.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM

good topic! I do believe weather can start or delay the rut by a few days based on increase/decrease light. Hot /cold snaps can change the rut some, but like most things that mother nature does it comes within a couple of days either way every year. Wheather it's the moon's influence or the reduced sun angle, shortens daylight hours, the rut will happen and in 30 days or so it will happen again. I don't look at anything except the deer/sign. They are like a GPS they will tell you everything you need to know about the rut just by observation. I have seen does bump bucks in the rump in late pre-rut Holloween time frame and in two more days the bucks are chasing the same does? No question there is more to learn about the rut. This is a good discussion
Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
ronn

it is a good topic. I mean i wouldn't bet my life on the whole moon deal but from that charles guy and dr deer and jeff murray and all those guys it is a major player so i'll take their word for it. then add what i've noticed in the woods over the years and it all fits. either way i'm in a tree if the season is in and i'm not working.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote