New hunting regulations - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default New hunting regulations

I live in Michigan, a state where our Department of Natural Resources is broke and unable to figure out how to control the problem of tubriculosis in our deer heard. It was mainly a big problem in northeast part of state where the DNR banned baiting with not much luck. DNR found a infected deer near my hometown and now wants to have a early gun hunt in late September for DOE'S ONLY. it's HOT AND HUMID AS HECK this time of year. U shoot a dear and would have to process it right away. Our bow season starts October 1st so u see where the problem is. What do think will happen to the early part of bow season? Also, we Michiganders can buy 5, YES 5, doe tags. Any other states out there with TUBRICULOSIS PROBLEMS?

Last edited by timberghost; 08-12-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
B&C 160 Class

well you want catch the deer by surprise....no problem with it here ,yet...i thought they went in and killed all the deer. were there was a outbreak..
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
ronn

I saw on the QDMA show where some diseases are density dependent and some are not. CWD is not but others are. where the densities are to high nature has a way of lowering the numbers or we can shot more does and save the bucks to grow BIG and strong.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM

I can only relate to PA where doe reduction took place and a three point miimum on one side was inacted. At first we didn't take it so well not shooting any buck, But something happened, suddendly the buck to doe ratio started to balance and we began to see better quality bucks, Now after 4-5 years we are seeing great bucks 8-10-12 pt, During the peak rut we can see slightly more bucks than does.like 5-3 Adding the food plots was just the frosting on the cake.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

We in Michigan probably do have too many does, but, I know of a lot of hunters that pass up a good mature doe and would rather shoot a 1 1/2 year old 4-6 pt. and think they are some Fred Bear. We can shoot any buck gun or bow but our second tag (Michigan allows us to shoot 2 bucks) a buck must have 4 tines on one side. I have been practicing QDM for the past 4 season and have only taken 1 decent buck. I have kept the freezer full from karvesting numerous does. I just wish more hunters in my state would do the same. Are you only allowed 1 buck tag?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 AM

KTL, you make a very good point and many hunters often overlook the reasons for some of the rules.

I feel that when a "State Representative" from ANY states wildlife Dept. sets harvest rules, they do it based on that states deer herd. There are reasons behind their decisions and usually their decisions are geared toward improving the growth and development for that states deer herd.

But many hunters begin to think that they are the experts and totally disregard the states decisions. A good example would be, Here in Vermont the State of Vermont wants to Drastically Increase the amount of Doe permits they will issue.
Now the hunters seem to think they are experts and you hear many of them say I'll just apply for the doe permits and not use them, do you see the problem there? All states depend on the hunters harvest to manage a state herd if the hunters don't participate, It turns into a vicious cycle and doesn't gain or benefit anywhere and then you hear the hunters say, "See we told you it wouldn't work"
All we can do is try to educate the other hunters, I think that's what it's going to take to improve deer hunting in most states.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

Bruce,
I do agree with the MI. DNR on the fact that we need to knock the doe pop. down. Mid december last year during muzzy season I counted 72 does between 3:15pm-5:30pm on my last hunt. Only 1 buck showed up, he was a small 6pt. so I passed on him and filled my last doe tag. My only concearn is having a early doe season in September. I think it is 5 days starting around the 20th of the month. This hunt would run after the small game opener (Sept15) and before our youth hunt (Sept.27-28). Too darn hot out to hunt. I don't think many hunters would pacticipate in this hunt with cost of having it butchered up. I process my own deer with my buddies but we all have full time jobs and young kids so timing can be hard to get together on not much notice to process a deer that day. I would love to see our state go with a 1 buck only rule with a minimum 4 points on one side for a couple of years to see if we start to get more quality bucks. Has your state ever done anything like that?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 PM

No, In Vermont a Legal buck is a deer with at least one antler having two or more points one inch or longer.

the annual limit for deer here in Vermont is 2 deer per year per hunter.

your 1 buck only rule with at least 4 points on one side would be great for skilled/seasoned hunters but most young hunters only see antlers..
The Vermont antler restriction works well, since they started the new antler restrictions everybody has to pass on the spikes so now we're seeing more older healthier bucks being harvested.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

In Michigan we can shoot a spike 3 inches or longer first, and second buck must have 4 points on one side. So u can see alot of spikes may never have a chance to mature. I like Vermont's rule better, it gives a spike a chance. In Michigan this year there has been alot of controversy over hunting issues. Currently $15 buys one a buck tag, u can buy it as a combo lisence for $30. A combo is first tag spike and second tag buck with 4 points on one side. Michigan's DNR tried to pass a new rate doubling everything to $30 and $60 which would of gotten alot of hunters to either stop hunting or just take a chance.It did not pass this year but good chance it will soon. If there could be a age limit (hunters age) on what size buck you took maybe that would help our heard.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Similar problem in TN

I live in TN and about 2-3 yrs ago, TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) changed our doe allowance to 1 doe for every day of rifle season in a certain unit. They also upped the limit in the other units of the state as well. I personally had a huge problem with this because I do not think that our population is that out of control. I do understand that by making fewer does available for breeding, only the more mature and bigger bucks are likely to pass on their genetics. Therefore the entire population will become more likely to grow, prosper, and produce record bucks.

Last year our state was hit very hard by EHD. TWRA has said large numbers have died off but I personally believe they are downplaying a lot of it because their license sells are already in the toilet (a whole other story) and they can't stand to lose any more people ( .i.e. people won't by the license if they don't believe there are deer to hunt). When I looked at the allowances this year I expected TWRA to lower some of the amounts of deer able to be taken. They have not....and I am truly worried that they may end up dessimating our deer population in order for them to save face.

Time will tell....as soon as I get time off work/school, I'm heading back to West TN to do some hunting.