Unfamiliar NECK OF THE WOODS - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up Unfamiliar NECK OF THE WOODS

I am an experienced CA hunter that wants to hunt in a different region. I dont want to take the trip to gamble on an area 'I think' is active but I also dont want to overpay to enjoy the woods (so no outfitters).

How have you expanded your hunting grounds to distant places?

or have you stayed in the same area because of the unfamiliarity of other areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 06:36 AM

A good place to start is in Forums like this, You decide where you'd like to hunt then check out the forums to see if any of the members (hunters) are familiar with that area,
then just ask as many questions as you'd like.
You can also call to speak with wildlife officers/Game Wardens in the areas your interested in, I'm certain they'd be willing to offer you a ton of good information.
Another thing you can do is check on state websites for hunting regulations and historical hunting data, that always helps to locate their hot spots from previous years.
Good Luck

Old 07-05-2015, 12:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

It would help if you could narrow your possibilities. Do you want to keep hunting in California, the west, north west, etc.? And don't completely eliminate the outfitted hunt. I did two of them about 30 years ago in Montana, and liked it so much that I wound up moving there (here) 23 years ago just for the hunting opportunities. That's a little extreme, and I'm not advocating that, just using it as one example of how you can find out about hunting opportunities.
The advice about checking these forums is also good. After moving to Montana from the east, I was so excited about it that I got on a forum and offered to host hunters from other states who couldn't afford or just didn't want to go with an outfitter, but who had a desire to hunt out here. After getting many replies, I chose two guys to join me on an antelope hunting eastern Montana. One hunter was from British Columbia and another was from Washington state. We camped in my tent right on the 53,000 acre ranch where we hunted. We all killed pronghorns - the guy from Washington shot his, a 15 incher, in the first half hour - and we all had a great time. This was totally a gift on my part, no fees, etc. for my trouble or time. So keep looking and you might get lucky.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 AM

wow, it is always a time consuming and potential money consuming proposal to locate new hunting grounds especially if you are thinking about another state. I did a couple of self elk hunts in Colorado with a couple of buddies. Today that same hunt for me would run about 2000.00 leaving from Ohio. I have secured hunting sites through friends and family in three states, all mid-west. I agree with everything said above and would spend time on the computer looking for public hunting areas in the state you are considering. The real work comes after that when you have to do some leg work or travel to a few areas to determine if they are worth hunting. Ohio has a lot of public hunting but a lot of hunters in them and success rates are low. For my money, I would consider paying for hunting a ranch property. It would be cheaper than a guided hunt and your experience should allow a good chance of success. Also, a couple of good friends are always a plus and share costs, not to mention they add to the memories. Good luck in your endeavors!