All My Money, Going to Corn - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 PM
ronn

One horse and everyone I for sure didn't take it as criticism. But Like i said its like being a little bit pregnant. I just don't understand the "I like the natural way of things" yet there is still a man made food source there that the critters key on. To me if it walks like a duck, has feathers like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it has to be a duck. I'm not saying baiting or food plots are right or wrong that's for the individual to decide. I'm just having a hard time doing the math. Keying thing on a food source be it an Oak stand and 300 acre alfalfa field or a food plot is still keying on a food source. I like the idea of being able to be more selective in the animal that I take, which is a real problem if you only see maybe 10 deer a season and get a shot at only two of the ten. that's all.

Sman that's just my point. if one use plots or baits to pattern the deer more predictably then that's using plots and baits to hunt deer. whether you are sitting on top of them or a half mile away from them. if one is hunting deer keying on the plot its using the plot. in this case i'm calling a plot any thing man plants that deer eat.

Last edited by ronn; 07-03-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
B&C 140 Class

I agree with you Ron. I don't think hunting over a food plot is a bad thing. I've never used a feeder, but I have put out corn piles to draw deer to me, remember I'm a meat hunter and it's an easy way to killl a couple of does in the late season. I have also laid out scents to draw deer to me. Same thing in my opinion. I think what we have to remember is baiting or food plots or corn fields is no way a guarantee of killing a deer. Much less a mature buck. Not around most places anyway. I have yet to have a buck worth killing come in to a corn pile. Not while I was there. besides it's cheaper to enhance an area by fertilizing natural foods, planting small plots, and planting natural browse like green briar, blackberries and such. The reason I don't hunt small food plots is I want the deer to feel secure and want to come there. Around here it is real easy to spook deer away from an area. There are so many food sources they'll just go to another one. Hunting over a corn pile is a good way to leave scent everywhere. But that's just me. If it's legal, it's up to the individual. It doesn't make a difference to me. One of the farms I hunt is small...60 acres. There are lots of deer, but they will leave if pressured, they don't have to go far. So I try to make that farm as pleasing as possible and limit where I hunt or how I hunt to make it the best I can. I can see where you are to use every possible means to get on the deer. You don't have many. You say 10 deer a season and I'd think something was wrong if I didn't see 10 deer in a morning. Did this make any sense? Grins.....
Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 AM

With-in the limits of the law everything else is a matter of personal choise. What one thinks is ethical another may walk away from. Today marks that point in history that allows each and everyone of us able to make choises that defines who we are as a person, a people, and a nation. Because we do things a bit different from oneanother is really what makes us so great as a country! Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
ronn

well stated HM, and you have a great one as well.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote