All My Money, Going to Corn - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

I do put out bait I guess but I don't shoot the deer that come to it......it is strictly for the game camera use so I can see what is out there and in the area....
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM

all my money goes to GAS. 4 wheeler and truck. cannot afford corn.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM

I think we will all see the day when every state makes baiting illegal. However, I cannot see states regulating property owners what you can/cannot plant on it. I too am not looking to insult anyone or try to change how you huint, I just see a big difference in bait piles vs a planted food plot. More and more property owners are trying food plots to help grow bigger healthier deer herds, and yes draw them to their land. There is no question given proper nutrition deer will grow bigger have more fawns and increase antler inches. I am pretty sure if I lived where bucks grew nice racks on the natural habitat I might have a different outlook on food plots. In PA where I hunt the deer lost almost 20 lbs in 34 years of hunting there and the bucks had virtually nothing in head gear. This was the driving force for me to try to make a difference in a small scale. With the help of the state reducing does and antler point restrictions and food plots things are looking up and it only took 5-6 years.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

baitings illegal in NY so i dont worry about it.when it was okay i used to put it out in the summer so we could see deer but i didnt hunt over it,I do eat an apple or two in the stand and throw the core out i dont think thats baiting but i guess that depends on the DEC guy
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 AM
ronn

i look at it has a balance scale, feeding and shooting. food plots and feeding deer does more good, on the whole , while taking the mature/right deer from the same spot. the competition for these deer to be and stay on your land is tremendous.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
not to get into any big scrap or anything.....but to me its no different than hunting a soybean or alfalfa field and the trails running to and fro, or in the west man made water tanks. none of which are there by nature. I totally understand nutrition plots and if I had the place to do so I'd devote 100% of my land to it, but still it makes the deer's pattern more predictable. Much like knowing where that rare stand of White Oaks is or the apple orchard. That's why, in for a penny in for a pound. if you are using any of these things at all you might as well use all of it. it's like being a little bit pregnant. just the way i see it right, wrong, or indifferent.
WELL SAID RONN.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM
B&C 160 Class

I don't have a problem with hunting by any legal means, to each their own. With that said I think baiting with corn or anything that has the animals bunched up to feed is unhealthy for the deer and allows disease to spread. For that reason I'm against it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
B&C 140 Class

Hey If Its Legle To Do In Your State Go For It.i Used To Do It But Fed Them All The Way Through The Winter To. Not Just Corn But A Variety Of Stuff Throughout My Property Not Conjested In One Spot.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Baiting deer is th ONLY thing you can bait here. I thought that kinda odd. I have never seen anything come into bait that I wanted to shoot. I plant plots for deer and put out mineral but don't hunt them....not really. I try to use them to enhance an area, nutrition, and develope regular patterns in deer movement.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ronn, I think there is a big difference between hunting near an alfalfa field or any natural feeding area and using a bait. The alfalfa fields that I hunt near, for example are huge - hundreds and hundreds of acres. There is no way of telling just which way the deer will come in from one day to the next. Same thing would be the case for a corn field, or an oak stand, etc. I admit to being ignorant about baiting, but I'm guessing that the baited area is pretty much localized and specific. So that when the deer come in, the hunter can be pretty sure where they will be. I suppose, if you put in a plot, that might be a whole lot bigger - not quite the same as a feeding machine, which, in my opinion, sort of pinpoints where the deer will be. Again, not to be misunderstood, I am not criticising anyone, just trying to see what different definitiions we all have for hunting. To me it's trying to figure out the animal, hunting the terrain as much as the deer, itself, doing a little exploring into at least one new area each year. I also like spot-and-stalk hunting (which is pretty much a western thing). But I do also enjoy stand hunting between the alfalfa field and bedding areas, and, as I said yesterday, if I were in your areas, I 'd probably hunt the same way you all do.