What do deer tracks tell you? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 AM

We started several years ago with limited success using calls/rattling/mock scrapes. I think if you figure things out the puzzle comes together in a couple of days, which we call the chess game. We do see 3-7 bucks/hunter per week. Not too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 AM
ronn

no that's not bad at all. With the pa's harvest rules change and you guys doing the nutrition plots do you think its making a difference? in a positive way?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM

I should have said the past discussions have been for archery season. I think the reductions in does, antler point requirements,and food plots have made a big difference in the head gear we now see. We use to shoot spikes, three's, four's, and really nasty looking racks, but now they have to be a five point and we are getting several 8 pointers with spread and now we have two 10 pointers on camera(not my camera). There has always been turkeys and grouse and bears there but they too seem to be increasing in numbers. One more thing, less hunters?????????
Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
ronn

We do have big mature deer here but has the numbers I cited show not many deer. This is why the still hunting in order to see deer. Must of the guys I know that head to places like pa go to just whack and stack then come back here to try for that big buck. I think the rules changes in pa has stopped a lot of guys from going out there any longer. May explain the less hunters thing. Unfortunately the learned habit of shooting the first legal deer is hard to break. I hunted in MD a couple years ago and passed on 10 shots on deer the first morning. I told my buddy that I would only take does or big bucks. so I passed on fork horns and spikes along with little does. Man it was an unnatural feeling to draw on a deer and not let the arrow lose. I guess that's what it takes to get big deer. I'm doing food plots in order to choose to shoot the right deer not just the deer that is in range and legal. I think the mentality is changing here, some, to taking the right deer and doing more stand hunting because of the laws that have been passed and the mild winters we've had, not last winter though, have increased the numbers. This and everyone learning more about deer management from the tube. good luck with growing, that's with all the things it takes to make happen, the deer that pa has the potential to grow.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ronn, do the farmers there grow alfalfa?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
ronn

There is only one alfalfa field that I know of in my area and the owners son and his significant other ( clear throat here ), he is an anti-hunter, posted and the almost 700 acres with it. Land I've hunted and pick trash and treated better than if were mine since 79. the few fields we have are hay. the guys with animals mostly import hay from Canada when it runs out from local sources. Early spring the hay fields do pull in deer but changes pretty fast.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'd be lost as a goose up there. Without crops and oaks I wouldn't know where to start. I remember going out to Montana and seeing hay field after hay field and every once in a while ....alfalfa. Seemed like that was the draw for the animals. Still...that would be hard hunting. All in what you get used to I s'pose.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 PM
ronn

when the deer get up from their naps they could go in any direction to find whatever it is they are looking for.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
B&C 140 Class

We have lots of alphalpha fields here in Montana. One of the places I hunt is state land that borders private (posted) alphapha fields. I'm talking about hundreds of acres of it! Some of the deer move through the state land when moving from cover to fed and back. It's like a parade. Trouble with this particular spot is, I'm not the only one who knows about it and it can get "crowded". And, of course, there's the fun and frustration of watching really BIG bucks (150+ inches) that rarely ever get off the posted property. They're right out there in plain sight just hanging out. I could sit there and watch 40 - 50 deer at a time. One of these days, one of those big boys is going to make a big mistake and cross that fence while I'm there. (I hope.)
Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
ronn

i'm pulling for you and that to happen.