Hello - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Hello

Hello,

I am an outdoorsman from Oklahoma, and am excited to find an online source for hunting information and stories. I have recently ( the last 8 years) become involved in deer hunting, and have kinda settled into mainly bow hunting. I have taken deer by all legal means, and have come to enjoy bow hunting the most. I am fortunate to have a lot of family land to hunt on free of charge and without interference from other unknown hunters. The first few years I hunted I was thrilled to just see deer much less have the opportunity to take one. Now it seems that I have focused my attention more on the bigger deer and starting to implement some management strategies on some properties to help the herd. I have learned a lot, and I'm sure there will be much more...Anyway that is my intro, now here is a pic of my first decent size deer (that took 6 years to get) He grossed 168 6/8. Net 162 2/8. He is a typical 10 pt. 23.5" inside spread, and I believe G2s and G3s all over 11". Anyway this is the biggest deer I had ever seen (at that time) on the land I hunt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Welcome, what a buck!!! That's a lifetime acheivement award there.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks, there is a good story, but no time now...maybe tomorrow I can elaborate a little.

John
Old 06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
ronn

nice buck and welcome. love to hear the story.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

Welxome from Montana. That's one heck-of-a-buck! Maybe you should be instructing us older guys! Anyway, nice having you here.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Greetings from Vermont flexj Glad to have you join us.
Thanks for posting the pics, that's a fine looking deer and that rack is HUGE !!!
Congrats to you on that one.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Welcome aboard flexj, greetings from WNY. That's a great intro from you and looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing the stories. Again, welcome aboard.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Nice intro indeed, and welcome. I like how he is all nonchalant about his "decent" deer. You ought to see some TN bucks. Just messing with ya. Looking forward to the story behind that buck.

Hope you enjoy the folks on here and the site.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'm glad to have found a spot to share stories like this as I can never seem to tell it enough...

As you may or may not know the wind in Oklahoma is brutal most of the time, and hunting season is no exception. On halloween 2006 the wind was blowing probably better than 30mph at 5:30 am. I was fairly excited about hunting with my muzzleloader for the first time in 5 years, so I took off for my treestand anyway. When I got close enough, I could see the silhouette of the tree swaying what looked to be about 6 feet side to side at the height of my stand. I decided to go hunt a different spot from the ground for obvious safety reasons. I walked to a spot where I had never really hunted before, but I had seen some good sign in the area. As soon as it got light enough to see I got the horns out and started rattling them loudly. I thought it was stupid at the time because of the wind, but finally figured it was worth a try anyway since I hauled the gear out there. After the second series of rattling followed by aggressive dominant buck grunts this deer stood up 40 yards directly in front of me!! I could not believe what I was seeing, but it didn't take long to snap out of it and prepare for the shot. After the shot I was a little surprised to watch the buck clear the fence 50 yards from where he was shot, and of course thought that I had missed the deer. Obviously that was not the case and the shot was placed well. I had hunted some with this gun when I bought it in 1999, but had never taken a shot at a deer until I harvested this buck. It was an exciting time as I got to show off my trophy to friends and family. I just still can't believe that I was able to walk in and set up within 40 yards of where this buck was bedded...amazing, I guess the wind can be your friend.

John

Here's a couple more shots for you guys...I took like a million

Last edited by flexj; 06-04-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
B&C 140 Class

Welcome.......great buck.......love the hole on the end of the left main beam and the teeny tiny droptine/mass blob-that adds character