Ground Shrinkage - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Ground Shrinkage

I've experienced Ground Shrinkage once with my axis but i was wondering any advice or tips on how to avoid it? anything would be helpfull
-pdstan
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM

well in our area in Texas the buck's spread must be at least 13in........so we look for the antlers to be outside the tip of the ears in the alert posistion
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

thanks so out side of the ears? i think i did it with the axis deer cuz they have tall horns now wide but im gonna start looking for that
Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 AM
B&C 160 Class

Field judging deer is one of the hardest things to do, IMO. I am not a trophy hunter but I prefer to take 2.5 and up, so this is what I look for.

I just don't always get the that good a look at a buck before the opportunity is gone. It seems they get on me quick, and between getting ready for a shot without being seen and the hole I have to shoot through being the same spot, there's no time.

When I'm in the quick decide position there are a couple of things I look for given the angle and distance. The first is width in relation to the ears for straight on views, side views is G3 tine length, I like it to be as big or bigger than the G2, The size of the base compared to the eye socket, will tell you about the mass. I also try to note how far the antler tip extends out the nose, if it is passed the tip of the nose it's a real nice deer.

In those times of really quick decisions I have one thing I rely on exclusively. That's the OMG factor. If there's no time to properly field judge a buck, and when I see the first good time, if I don't say to myself "OH my God" I don't shoot.

Last edited by Buckshot; 05-30-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
B&C 180 Class

good tips keep em coming im starting to get out of "if its brown..."phase and need the pointers
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM

[quote=Buckshot;13551] I also try to note how far the antler tip extends out the nose, if it is passed the tip of the nose it's a real nice deer. quote]

I deffentialy agree that if the beams go past or even to his nose he is a great deer.......somewhere I heard that if the beams go to the tip of the nose --the beam length is said to be around 22''......so just something else to look for
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

wow thanks guys those are really helpful
Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 AM
B&C 160 Class

Here is you best method to know to have a good buck. Outside of ears at least a few inches each side and look for at least 20" of tines each side. With this as your minimum you will be shored you are looking at a 125 - 130 class animal minimum. Using this as you guide line ground shrinkage will never happen. The average P&Y buck has 18"+ spread and 20" of tine on EACH side. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:51 AM

I'd like to add some to this subject. More often than not when you see a shooter class Buck it's usually in a situation where you only have seconds to determine it's size. everything I've read so far offers good tips and advice but in most cases there just isn't time to think "1,2 or 3 inches past ears, or antler tips almost to the nose or G1's G2's etc..
The Easiest way is to just become familiar with what a Rack looks like they're all pretty much the same, I mean, a spike is a spike (simple measure) "antler Height" a 3 or 4 pointer looks similar to other 3 or 4 pointers, then comes the Basket Racks 6's and 8's most basket racks look the same too. 10's 12's and larger, IN the woods are too obvious to hide their large size, so shooting one is just a "WOW It's BIG" method.
The decision starts before the hunt, you have to decide before you enter the woods if you want to shoot a Spike or not or whether a 4 pointer is fair game, a lot of hunters go hunting thinking they have loads of time to decide what to shoot, it isn't that way at all. so my advice is to

1. look at as many deer heads as possible, outdoor shows, mounts, fields etc.
(this will help you to know "Naturally" what type of deer is in front of you.)
2. decide before the hunt what type of deer will make you happy to shoot
even a spike can be a trophy to some hunters...
3. just enjoy the hunt don't worry about a deer's score eventually everyones
trophy comes along.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Hunting.