Deer Hunting Forums banner

books

9K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  joel the signman 
G
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of you all read any hunting books? Are there any that you really got a lot out off or liked the best?
I liked and would recomend:

Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon:thumbup:

Moon Struck by Jeff Murray with Myles Keller:thumbup:

Hunting Whitetails By The Moon by Charles J. Alsheimer:thumbup:

I've read a quite a few books. Most repeat stuff that most long time hunters already knew and tend to duplicate each other. Still anything and everything to gain more knowledge or remind a guy and keep his head working. These three are very informative.

#4 ·
i got a shelf of em.Peter Fiducia is one of my favorites.a funny one is ,buck petersons complete guide to deer hunting..Patrick Mcmanus is another funny guy.bill buckley writes good duck books with awesome photos.also everyone should own some petersons field guides to help identify trees and shrubs.

#6 ·
i got that one too.great article on ethics

#8 ·
i lent it too someone .I have to get it back .Ill send it to you.

#13 ·
86cents I think i paid 20$

#15 ·
:ranting::ranting::ranting::lol:

#17 ·
it was a joke.stop telling me to lighten up

G
#18 · (Edited)
looking forward to reading the book. sorry its hard to tell reading and writing what people mean sometimes. just didn't what you to think i was being facetious. I appreciate the recommendation. Anyway sorry for misunderstanding.

G
#19 ·
More books I've read on hunting and one on guns that is a very good book to read if you rifle hunt.

Make It Accurate by Craig Boddington ( the gun book )

Moon-phase Deer Hunting by Jeff Murray

Bow Hunting Pressured Whitetails by John Eberhart & Chris Eberhart

Bowhunting Forrests & Deep Woods by Greg Miller

Aggressive Whitetail Hunting by Greg Miller

Bow hunting Tactics That Deliver Trophies by Steve Bartylla

Stand Hunting Real-world Tactics for Today's Trophy Whitetails by Steve Bartylla

Whitetail Wisdom A12-Step Guide by Daniel E. Schmidt Foreword by Charles J. Alsheimer

If Nature Calls......Hang up! by Outdoorlife A Classic Collection of Outdoor Humor

Whitetail Fundamentals and Fine Points for the Hunter by George Mattis

For Big Bucks Only by Jeff Murray for North American Hunting Club

Hunting Whitetails Successfully by J. Wayne Fears for North American Hunting Club

Bowhunting Trophy Whitetails An advanced Approach To Taking Mature Bucks by Bobby Worthington for North American Whitetail

Whitetail Wisdom by North American Hunting Club

(A couple others I've read but didn't think were very good)

The Masters' Secrets of Bowhunting Deer Secret Tactics From Master Bowmen By John E. Philps

Hunting The Whitetail Deer by Norm Nelson

White-tailed Deer by Gary Clancy and Larry R. Nelson

WOW! I guess I've read more than I thought. Along with the three best I started the post with. A lot of repeat info but each had a little something in them that's worth reading.

G
#21 · (Edited)
It was okay. Its only 124 pages and quite a few pics. I thought it was pretty basic. But here is the thing with that, most everything you read in these books are things you already know. Just its good to be reminded of some things. Other than the first three books the rest, including this one, if you had 4 hunters sitting around a fire they would discuss the very same things in this book and would probably all be in agreement. If I remember right there wasn't any earth shattering info in it. All that babble being said it aint gonna hurt to read it. I will say this, in all the pictures Bobby looks like he's been in the same boots all day and they are 3 sizes to small. lol Info, I remember, is solid. it is a short read.

Most all the books I get are through Amazon.com. A couple from the club when I was a member.

#22 · (Edited)
Yea that's usually the case but sometimes someone says something a little different that rings a bell. I like to read them anyway. I liked the Greg Miller books too. I thought they left me a bit wanting but I guess you have to learn a lil something for yourself. They are what got me thinking of LBL.

G
#23 · (Edited)
I would like to change those three to four books and include

" Precision Bowhunting A Year-round Approach To Taking Mature Whitetails" by John and Chris Eberhart.

Packed full of info. A must read. Two thumbs up. The bible of modern whitetail deer hunting. Read those first three and this one and you won't be sorry. Promise. Its a slow read cause of all the info but well worth it. I had to read and reread the content. Sorry I don't know how I forget this one. The reason I posted all the titles is because I knew something was missing. this book will give you a new perspective of deer hunting.

If you are going to buy one book, buy this one.

G
#25 ·
I got that book you guys mentioned today in the mail. i finished it a few mins ago. good book. not what i was expecting but true to the title. its was like a series of hallmark warm and fuzzy movies. not so much a "how to" but more a "why". thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.