books - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
ronn

It was okay. Its only 124 pages and quite a few pics. I thought it was pretty basic. But here is the thing with that, most everything you read in these books are things you already know. Just its good to be reminded of some things. Other than the first three books the rest, including this one, if you had 4 hunters sitting around a fire they would discuss the very same things in this book and would probably all be in agreement. If I remember right there wasn't any earth shattering info in it. All that babble being said it aint gonna hurt to read it. I will say this, in all the pictures Bobby looks like he's been in the same boots all day and they are 3 sizes to small. lol Info, I remember, is solid. it is a short read.

Most all the books I get are through Amazon.com. A couple from the club when I was a member.

Last edited by ronn; 04-04-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

Yea that's usually the case but sometimes someone says something a little different that rings a bell. I like to read them anyway. I liked the Greg Miller books too. I thought they left me a bit wanting but I guess you have to learn a lil something for yourself. They are what got me thinking of LBL.

Last edited by Southern Man; 04-04-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
ronn

I would like to change those three to four books and include

" Precision Bowhunting A Year-round Approach To Taking Mature Whitetails" by John and Chris Eberhart.

Packed full of info. A must read. Two thumbs up. The bible of modern whitetail deer hunting. Read those first three and this one and you won't be sorry. Promise. Its a slow read cause of all the info but well worth it. I had to read and reread the content. Sorry I don't know how I forget this one. The reason I posted all the titles is because I knew something was missing. this book will give you a new perspective of deer hunting.

If you are going to buy one book, buy this one.

Last edited by ronn; 04-04-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Scrub Buck

If Nature Calls, Hang up was a very well-written, funny book. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM
ronn

I got that book you guys mentioned today in the mail. i finished it a few mins ago. good book. not what i was expecting but true to the title. its was like a series of hallmark warm and fuzzy movies. not so much a "how to" but more a "why". thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Scrub Buck

i read a good fiction book about hunting called skeeter

it was very good
Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
B&C 120 Class

I am surprised I did not see any mention of the Benoit books. I read them a few years ago. The one thing I recall is the shear will of these guys dogging a track for up to 10 miles before getting a shot. Most hunters would give up. I have read alot of articles by Alsheimer. He offers good advise.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
ronn

I've seen them speak a few times. Just not my style of hunting. I don't have the time to spend days tracking one deer. I think they are loggers and thats where they get the time off. They wait for the woods to freeze up to go back to work. And I can't get into the shoot shoot shoot till it stops moving not caring where they hit them. Just not for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
B&C 180 Class

most people cant do that style of hunting because we hunt in fragmented areas .ya track the deer to the property line
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
ronn

That's a good point as well. NH and ME have an open land deal where if its not posted you can hunt it with out permission. A lot of their deer come from Ontario I believe. Not sure about VT and the open land deal but BruceBruce would know.