Hay Bale Blind - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Hay Bale Blind

Well this is my project for the summer. Does anyone have one, or has anyone ever made one of these? I'm needing ideas of how to construct it. I have the framing part figured out (going to use cattle panels for the rounded structure) but I'm not sure what to make the outside out of or how to do it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 AM

lol @ Bueller. I can't offer anything Tator, sorry wish I could.
East texas droptine built and posted the first one I'd ever seen
check out her profile maybe she's got an email you can write her at.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Wow missed this Tator
not sure if it would work but how about something like chicken wire to attach the hay to?
I would use alfalfa so you can just choke the deer when it comes in to eat the bale

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 PM

I hear they are a great way to hunt from. Good luck with the project.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well this is my July project. Hoping to get this finished before bow season starts in mid sept. I have a GREAT spot to bow hunt from, but it's in a very bad spot with no mature trees or places to put a stand.

ON another note, I brought my tower stand back to my house after muzzleload season and have been making some upgrades to it. Painted it, put on a a new metal roof and installed home-made windows. I'll post some pics when I'm all done with it.

Just sold two ladder stands today for $120. GOing to put that money towards a two person ladder stand since my son and nephew are now ready to start hunting more regularly.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
B&C 120 Class

Back in PA farm country we just stacked real hay bales to make a "fort" with windows. Use burlap for covering the windows. Stacked hay bales looked like, well, stacked hay bales to a deer.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

A buddy made one few years ago. He turned a small trailer into a hay bale blind. His was made out of plywood. And hay was glued with outdoor carpet glue to hold it on with. Sides could hinge up about a foot when pulling. He made it to pull out to middle of field n hunt. I haven't seen it since it was made so I don't know how it has held up in the weather over the years.i always thought about making one too after seen my buddies.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:01 PM
dirtybird

Smile Hunting blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
Well this is my project for the summer. Does anyone have one, or has anyone ever made one of these? I'm needing ideas of how to construct it. I have the framing part figured out (going to use cattle panels for the rounded structure) but I'm not sure what to make the outside out of or how to do it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
----as to the destine , make it "Hay Cube" ! use conduit/light pipe and put snaps on the rods. take the sheet of canvas/plastic and lay on ground and apply adhesive to it. then put straw (real) to cover scents of people/fabric . sides can be formed by whatever you want (weight wise). when done it can be rolled up for storage, an unrolled to assembling. repairs to straw are very easy to roll/spray area of repair with glue and apply straw. I hope this helps ? mine I made for my Pastor works great, for 2 seasons now. Charles f.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Blind placement

I always built two blinds. One for South to West wind, the other for the Northwest to Northeast. I don't have a fixed blind for East wind since in South Carolina that means bad weather & changing wind related to front moving thru. I use chicken wire attached to native trees(4") six ft long, poles two ft in ground. I always stick branches & vines along with whatever is growing in area in wire. I pile extra brush horizontal around bottom of blind. Then I stack big limbs, etc pointing up so blind looks a bush pile. I anchor a 2x4 or 2x6 at shooting height for rifle rest. Attach a solid(no light pass thru) to close entry. The solid backdoor prevents you from being lighted up when you are in hunting position. Make sure any manmade material has no UV in it. You can not wash it out. You get glasses that show up UV material. All military BDU'S are UV free because UV stands out brighter in night goggles. May sound like overkill but you are going to be to in blind for many hours. You must assume you are ambushing a special forces team because a mature buck is a special force. You can use four 6' 1/2" conduit. Drill small holes up the conduit to tie wire or netting to. Use a short 2x4 to hammer post in, hammer end of conduit to flat point, like a flat head screw looks .Use same back entry cover. Put local brush against blind. Use shooting stick with a 3 ft 1/2" steel rod or conduit driven in ground to tie stick to for stable, solid rest. Don't worry about noise, you might rattle him in.
Semper Fi

Last edited by Unregistered; 07-06-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Additional type of blind
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote