food plots/baiting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 PM

Default food plots/baiting

I've held this position throughout our discussions, a small food plot planted to shoot a deer over is very close to baiting. In fact it may be legal but one might want to look at ethics. Foods plots are used for only two reasons, kill over and nutrition, how you choose to use them is YOUR business. After reading all the good posts on poaching then i start getting all worked up on this one. You all can start shooting me now, I'm a big boy, but some of the things I'm reading puts questions in my mind. Poaching/baiting/records/small food plots/ethics/legal/kill/fertilize public/??? Are we simply being lazy that we don't use our hunting ability that we have to plant a small food plot to lure the buck/doe into the killing fields? Are the scents that we use in the same catagory? As I stated prior, I hunt about a 1/2 mile from the food plots I plant. Maybe this is too close and I'm also guilty? I'm not afraid to put the target up. This will draw some fire I'm sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 08:18 PM
ronn

Huntingman, its for sure arguable. On this one its to each there own if its legal. You maybe a half mile away but there has to be some attraction to the plots you plant. even if they just hold deer in the area. 2 miles is not to far for a deer to travel to get groceries in an evening. I think different parts of the country look at it differently. Where I am there is no agriculture. Where in other states there are beans and corn growing all over the place and people hunting near them?????. I haven't used for plots of any kinda for reasons other than its right or wrong. It is legal here. Baiting is legal here with rules to follow but its legal. Here a weekend hunter is lucky to get a buck every couple years and a mature buck once in a life time. The woods are huge with no defined feeding areas or true bottle necks you would see in farm country. Add this to low deer densities and a hunter needs all the help he can get. These woods are big. A few years ago a Lear jet went down on Christmas eve. Three years went by before it was found. If you choose not to use your best weapon you have as a predator that's your choice. Look at it this way if you hunted over a food plot you could choose the right deer to take to improve the herd as apposed to the first safe shot. Ethics? If this guy thinks its unethical and that guy over there thinks it is ethical, who's right? Are you going to be the one to make the call? am I, no way will I say that guy is unethical that would be forcing my label on him. Would I use an attractant plot? yes. Will I? probably not but for reasons that most hunters don't have to deal with. would I bait? yup I would. Do you take a mature buck every year? and the mature deer are the ones to take according to the biologists. If you find a stand of oaks loaded with acorns do you walk away and hunt somewhere else? When you go fishing do you use bait on the hook or a lure? Ethically whats the difference? I'm not bashing on you, just putting it out there. Its a argument that will go on forever. thats all i got to say on the subject and you can't bait me into more. lol
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 PM
B&C 180 Class

"When you go fishing do you use bait on the hook or a lure? Ethically whats the difference? " I was gonna say the same thing.I use scents ,is that bait?What about calls?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 PM

The thing that got me thinking was "fair chase". Does fair chase include baiting, scents, foodplots. Ronn, you do respond to baiting!!! Ha Ha. I knew this was a touchy issue, but what the heck, I want to hear whats on peoples mind.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 AM
ronn

Fair chase just means no high fence. I knew when I read the post you had just gotten a new big spoon. haha i know a few guys that don't think its fair to use all that stuff. they came to these conclusions while sitting on the edge of a bean field and they come from states where there are lots of deer. I tell people if you think your state is hard to deer hunt come to NH. You'll go home with a new appreciation for the state you are in. A guy comes up from VA and goes for a walk in the woods with a local after their hour walk he says "I don't think you have any deer in this state." true story.

Last edited by ronn; 03-31-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

Fair chase means a bit more than only high fence. I think this old timer may be reflecting on modern times vs when I started hunting, oh maybe 40-42 years ago. I believe harvest has replaced "hunting" in a lot of today's hunting circles. So many gagets to lure in the deer makes it less important to teach hunting instead teaches harvesting. These are two different words with two different meanings. I enjoy Hunting, harvesting is only a small part of that, some mix up the two! That new spoon I got included electronic calls, motion sensors, trip wires, decoys, awac survaliance. I think I'll go to the attic and pull out the old red woolies and 5 buckle artics and remember where I came from. Maybe onehorse can relate???? What say you?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM
ronn

You asked a question I gave you my thought and then you say I'm wrong. Nice! If you didn't what a differing opinion maybe you should just write a manifesto and leave it at that. jeez!

I've have come to the realization that hunting really isn't a sport even though I'm a newbie to hunting with almost 40 years in the woods myself. It may be a life style or a way of life but more so its a management tool, so harvest would be the correct term. The biologist try to figure out the carrying capacity of the habitat and adjust the harvest accordingly. Now the states and their need of revenue fight them on that and change things, but hunting is a management tool. Its a newer way of looking at the big picture its not just ME ME ME anymore. its what is best for the deer. How many deer should be harvested? what sex? what age group, referring to antler restriction? It use to be, back in the olden days the the hunting regs were the same state wide. Now its MANAGEMENT AREA TO MANAGEMENT AREA. Did you notice its MANAGEMENT AREA not hunting area? That antiquated way of thinking is why VT is the way it is and NH is the way it is, and Texas is the way it is, oh and PA, again referring to antler restrictions. Everywhere states are trying to harvest the deer that make the herd better. deer are a resource just like trees, corn to the farmer, fish, and everything else. Without PROPER concern and care, management, all resources can be damaged. Just my thoughts and everyone else is welcome to theirs or mine if you like. either way its all good.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM

ronn, now you are just peed off! Whats wrong with a different opinion? You seem very intolerant of other's opinions. I don't need a lecture from you, sorry. I believe in the protecting of the tradition of hunting vs just harvesting, which you don't seem to agree is different, why get your dandruf up! We just see things different! I hope that some of the young hunters today are being taught "hunting" and not only "harvesting"! Harvesting and management deal mostly with only the killing part of hunting. There is a lot more to it, as you well know! My point is, are the young people learning the difference? Does all the gagets dimminish the need to teach true hunting? Again, we will agree to disagree, thats good enough for me!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
B&C 120 Class

Never have understood why baiting would be illegal while you can put out all the scents and mating calls you want. Give any male species the choice and he'll wake up hungry every time. IMO scents and calls are much greater lures.
That being said I think each person should be allowed to utilize all methods to properly manage their herd. Limits are there for a reason, not just state but self imposed limits in managed areas. I also believe that as we progress and our personal goals or limits become easier to achieve that we should and quite often do challenge ourselves. Personal choice to refrain from the use of one or more of the lures available. Target one buck as the one you're after. I think these are natural progressions that few will ever enjoy and that's a shame. But at the same time , I think it would be wrong to make the choice for someone or force them into it.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
ronn

Well stated turtle.

Huntingman me intolerant that's laughable. You were the one that asked the question and when you didn't like my answer basically said I'm wrong. You drew that 42 years hunting like it was some sort of pistol. I can't give a lecture but you can, that sounds fair doesn't it? I feel you are treating me like I haven't thought these issues through and reached my own conclusions. I personally think I could learn something from anybody regardless of age or regardless of subject. Hunting for a long time doesn't make you or me right. You seem to be one of the least progressive thinking people I've heard from but I could be wrong. If you bow hunt are you using a compound or a long bow or still throwing rocks to get game. Are you still out there catching fish by hand or are you using modern technology? Motors, trolling motors, all the gadgets? Tech is always progressing which is all that these gadgets are, modern tech. No one says you have to use them or even like them but to assume someone who does use them is less of a hunter than you is just wrong. I'll bet 40 years ago the was some old guy that thought he knew it all and refused to use a compound bow. "Them new finagled bows are just unfair. All them cables and wires and such. I got to go sharpen my new steel broad heads." To be honest with you I'm having a hard time trying to keep track of the things you don't like and are against. Food plots, baiting, fair chase, gadgets, crossbows, compounds, long, recurve, flint lock, percussion caps, sidelock, inline, smokeless, high power, all have been improved over the years. I not peeved, we just have a different way of thinking about things. On the plus side many angles of these issues are being seen. Somewhere on here someone used a signature. If you continue to do the same thing expecting a different out come that's a sign of insanity. That's paraphrasing Einstein, I think. And I'm not saying your are insane. Its just a way to think about things.