Buck Bomb? ? ? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Default Buck Bomb? ? ?

Has anyone ever tried the "BUCK BOMB"? ? ? Or know of a scent brand that the deer "come into?"

I have tried two brands. . . the first one was the Tink's 69. But back then (well 3 yrs ago) I did not have a wildlife camera to set up to see if any bucks had come in. The second was the Special Golden Estrus by the Wildlife Research Center. I did have a camera and put it up but nothing came in.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 PM

I do use the golden estrus. Several things could be happening, bucks will scent check down wind, and not seeing a doe will continue traveling. If the doe/buck ratio is very high, bucks won't even bother with scrapes and scents as they are very busy in the service department. After the first major heat cycle is over, does automatically come back in heat in about 30 days. Bucks having less does to find in heat may respond to a scent set-up??? I have my best luck the first day I set up the scent, after that I have to move locations to be very effective. I also like those misty low light days as the scent stays low to the ground and the bucks tend to travel longer. I have not tried scent bombs. All things considered, I believe proper use of good scents help more that hurt your chances.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
ronn

I think its a hit or miss proposition like hunting man said. Also I very much agree with his wind check statement. I put scent, if I use it, 50yards or so up wind of my stand. Roger Raglins 150 with inter-digital for a drag and hunt over. I think Its Pete Rickards inter-digital works as a good drag. I've had deer come running to Active Scrape and drive their noses in to a mock scrape but that's a timing thing. Sometimes I think your better off with out a thing cause its something different in the woods and deer pick up on that. I left 2 cents right here by the mouse.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM
B&C 180 Class

never used buck bomb..what i do is i take a spring type clothspin and an empty film can and tie the pin to the can with surveyors tape.i put cotton balls in the can add my favorite scent then clip them to trees at the maximum range im willing to shot.i put em out in a circle round my spot .the tape acts as a wind indicator and helps to find em at the end of the day.the cans can be capped so you dont get the scent on you.the clips make it easy to place on tree or brush.best of all the whole setup is cheap .cans are free from film developers pins and cotton are a 1$ at 99 cent stores the tape is probably all ready in your pack for tracking.I like wildlife research scents but thats a personal preference
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM
B&C 120 Class

I quit using any and all scents this year. I saw more big bucks than in previous years. I personally think the bucks are on to us LOL. I go totally scent free, no cover scents, no urine, nothing.

here's a quick funny story. I have hunted with my preacher for the last 8 years or so. He has had a dry spell on shooter bucks. while discussing what he could be doing wrong, it came up that he never cleans out his scent bombs he just adds more to them every year. My 19 year old son went into a hard belly laugh saying "no wonder you haven't shot a buck! They think your a 90 year old doe" we all got a real good laugh out of it.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:22 AM
ronn

I'm leaning that way more and more as well. and that is funny.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote