Which One? - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Which One?

I am getting ready to purchase either a disc/cultivater or rototiller to pull behind my ATV. DR Power equpiment has a nice rototiller set up and I have been looking at disc/plows as well. I am looking for feedback on which one you guys would go with. Has anyone used the discs? They seem to be a little light weight to be very effective.
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

sorry don't know much about it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 PM

ive never bought either one of them but im like you in your thinking. I just dont see how you would have enough weight for the disc to do well. I would think the tiller would work better.
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Here's my experience on food plot equipment. I started with a Honda 500cc liquid cooled 4X4. It could not do the job! I could not pull a drag big enough to do two small food plots in a weekend. You are correct unless you are planting in a sand soil or a really loose soil you won't pull a disk with an ATV. The light weight equipment is more toy like than serious food plot tools. Frustration will set in quickly. So what do we do now. Friend, family, neighbors, seems like equipment is close by you just need to spend time finding the people with equipment. It could be cheaper to have a nearby farmer plow/disk for you. Then finish with the ATV. Sprayers can be utalized with ATV's pretty well. We use an old Ford 9N to drag with, a small JD dozer to pull a double set of disks, I have a 12v spreader that mounts on the back of the ATV ( Cabelas'). NW PA soil is clay based and is not easy to work with. It's all enjoyable for me, the deer, turkeys, and bear all feed in the plots getting better nutrition than they could otherwise. Its also not cheap to do, I have cut costs by using farmer quality clovers/products vs the high price advertised food plot products. Good luck, its fun, and the animals will come if you plant it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode