Top 10 Tips for Deer Hunting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
It should ALWAYS be about safety.
Whether it's a successful hunt or not. Safety should always be a hunters first concern.
There can't be a separation between Hunting & Safety...
Hunting without regard to safety is pretty much just Poaching..
If you read my post it said 10 each. This means there is no way you can effectivly cover the your topic trying to list both in just 10 items. Poaching? I think you stepped over the line buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
ronn

guys, it was about hunting tips. you could rattle off ten safety tips or more and never get to hunting tips. we all agree that safety is a big part of hunting. but when you go through hunters safety to get a licence they teach you safety not hunting so they are kinda separate in the learning phase. in application they go hand in hand. just the way i see it. Oh and I tips I put on could be expanded to hundreds of individual tips.

Last edited by ronn; 03-04-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 AM
B&C 140 Class

Ron's wording is better than mine but that is what I really meant to say.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
If you read my post it said 10 each. This means there is no way you can effectivly cover the your topic trying to list both in just 10 items. Poaching? I think you stepped over the line buddy.
I understand wmi, I also understood what you were saying in your post... You said and I quote: "Personaly I think they should be sep." to which I'm saying you can't separate safety from hunting, in no way can they be divided... So I don't think I over stepped my bounds in any way whatsoever.

AND don't you agree with me about Poachers?
If some idiot (poacher/jacker or whatever ya want to call them) goes out shooting at wildlife at night,,, Do you really think he's focused on safety?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

Poaching is the unethical illegal means of taking game. Not in season, trespassing, over limit harvesting, etc... Safety is just that and is referring to prevention of harm to yourself, others, and property. Successful hunting is the ability to successfully harvest your intended game. My point was safety does not have any one item that is more important than another. Success does not have one item more important than another. To be able to put a combination of these two together for a list of 10 would leave out too many just as important parts of the equation. YES they go hand in hand as part of being a good successful hunter but a list of 10 would leave too many very important aspects of hunting left unstated. Now safety could be group worded like: Following ALL safety rules in your hunter safety course. Correct selection of weapon for harvesting intended game. Using the wind. Knowing food sources. Identifying bedding areas. Travel corridors. etc... What you are doing is a great idea but keeping it to a list of 10 is going to be tough. The word poaching is the nastiest curse word there is in an association with hunting and should be used with care amongst fellow hunters. You can be a safe, successful hunter and still be a poacher. But you cannot be a poacher and be a good hunter.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

You know what I find interesting is that in most forum topics/posts the question turns into something else. . . like now the thread is turning into a poaching thread instead of 10 tips. . . it is not a bad thing but it seems to happen alot.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM

The origional post asked for tips for a NEW deer hunter. Safety is always #1. Hunter safety courses are just a small beggining for the new hunter which is why its so important to list it first. Teaching a new hunter about deer hunting never ends, for any of us, as we continue to learn/see new things all the time. Trying to explain to someone the rut alone would take 100 tips at least. As in most posts, we tend to get most of the areas covered pretty well for those asking for help.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 AM

East Texas Droptine is right and it bugs me too when a topic falls into another subject.

the topic was "Top 10 tips for Deer Hunting" let's try and keep it on the main subject please.