scouting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 PM
ronn

Default scouting

I look at deer hunting as a year around pursuit. Anybody getting out there scouting? Those of you with little or no snow that is. We've got to much on the ground to even see the rubs. The deer are yarded up so they are not where they will be during hunting season. I can't wait for the snow to melt down to get out and poke around to see what's out there and hang my cameras. I'm trying to find more than one mature buck for the up coming season. That way I won't burn a stand site out with to many visits. I've also got to check a new spot that is in the way back. As the crow flies its only 15 or miles away but it takes about a hour to drive to within walking distance. Some rugged country but with little hunting pressure from deer hunters. Bear and moose hunters are in there but that's about it. Anyway what are you guys finding out there?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 03:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

Im waiting on the weather myself but i do the same thing.this year is the year im bringing my nephew more .we all ready did a little trip last weekend by his house where i bird hunt.next week hopefully ill take him where i go deer hunting .i still got to pull a stand and this is where i also turkey hunt so we'll do a combo scout.I taught him what to look for and he gets so thrilled when he finds sign.its such a great feeling watching someone get that excited over droppings
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-16-2008, 03:50 PM
B&C 160 Class

Every weekend it seems I'm in the woods somewhere. Have a couple private leases one where we only shoot 8 points or better for last 5 years is really looking good. But have my eye on a lot of public land. One in particular, bow hunt only, has rubs on trees as big around as telephone poles. Would love to find one of his sheds. Tomorrow will be setting up trail camera at other private land, neighbors say the one I'm tracking has a two foot spread. I'll have to see that for myself. But, I know where he sleeps and his usual travel routes so hopefully I can get a pic.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:39 PM
ronn

I know what you mean on both the kid thing and I've seen times where I was excited to find scat. I've taken several newbies out for turkey hunting. Deer hunting here is real tough here and its hard to get a kid excited about sitting for a length of time and see no deer. Kinda makes it not fun for them. turkeys are more interactive and the young ones like it more. Its a good place to start with them.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

yep i plan on taking him this springafter i bag my first bird ill bring him along for the second.Its like when your teaching them to fish you go for sunnies instead of bass
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-16-2008, 06:36 PM
ronn

Turtle where are you? What state? I would think by now they have lost their head gear, maybe not. that sounds like a good area.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:35 AM
B&C 160 Class

I'm in SC. Two weeks ago saw 4 bucks and they still had both, can't be much longer.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 AM

I have found a couple of good bucks by hanging my cameras. . . the bucks I have pics of are in the photo gallery.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
ronn

Love the cameras! They are a great help finding what you want and its just kinda neat going what to I have on there now. SC isn't real know for big deer is it? or do they have some good ones? any pics around? I know there a lot of piggys and some big ole bear.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
B&C 160 Class

Nope not known for big ones. Mainly because it's never been a management priority in the past. Most people cared more about quantity than quality. Trophy hunting/ management just catching on down here. I guess we're a little slow and resistant to change. Seems all we learned and studied the best thing to produce big bucks was time. We just let them grow and the results have been amazing.It's not that SC couldn't produce large bucks they weren't being allowed to reach maturity.

Where I work the owner is big hunter. He leased a little over 900 acres for employees and family to use. The club that had the lease before were kicked-off for very unethical hunting. Lights at night you name it they were doing it. Any way he's had the lease for 5 years now with the rule that a buck must be an 8 point or better. Well five years later that place holds some big ones now, I'll go by the office next week and see if I can get some trail cam picks.

But recently, I got to thinking if all it took was time to let them grow there might just be one or two out there that slipped through the cracks. This year I got a GPS and have been doing more scouting than I've ever done before. Trying to find the farthest most out of the way places where no one else will go. There have been several 150,160 and a few 170 class taken within 100 miles of me over last couple years. I may be chasing a ghost, but I'm really enjoying the chase. In all honesty I really wouldn't won't it to be easy because then it would be over too soon. All this must sound crazy I know but it keeps me out of trouble and am in a lot better shape from all the long hikes.