scouting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:50 PM
ronn

Crazy?? not one little bit! That's the way to do it. Along with teaching my son the ways of the woods, I'm trying, the best I can, to teach proper management. Good luck out there and if you haven't already try to pass along those thoughts you just mentioned to the guys in your area and maybe you all will reap the rewards. I mean there is nothing wrong with someones first tree being a spike or doe or whatever but from there a hunter should grow. anyway keep at it
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ronn and Turtle, nice conversation. I'm a little pooped out from all the writing I've been doing lately. I might just sit back and read what you other guys are saying for a while. Anyway, you all might need a little break from Onehorse.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:36 PM
ronn

No not at all. Heck I just got here and what to hear your thoughts and impressions. You being out west and with different terrain whats your take on scouting. I'm sure it must be some what different of not all together different.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm in the woods every weekend. I look for the turkey concentrations and the deer groups cuz of the snow yarding up the deer. With the vegetation and leaves all down and gone it's very easy to see deeper into what was once thick vegatation in November. I explore alot around this time going deeper into swamps and wind sheltered valleys trying to learn a little more about the deer travels and numbers. Good excercise too.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
B&C 120 Class

Well, DNR got me good this time. Went Shed hunting this weekend where the large rubs were. Those large cedars the size of telephone poles? Well there's a brand spanking new gravel road there now. Guess they thought it was too inaccessible .
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Onehorse, I have enjoyed reading your shared experiences. You reflect what most outdoorsman should aspire to be like. You remind me of a couple of my best hunting buds. Keep it coming! Hunting Man