Building a game feeder - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Building a game feeder

I would like to build my own deer feeder. I have read that PVC type feeders are easily destroyed by Coons and Squirrels, and that they also breed disease. Is this true? Then, would a spread-type feeder be a better choice? If so, does anyone have building plans? Any other options that I may not be thinking of??
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
B&C 180 Class

one of my hunting camp mates had a pvc pipe feeder the raCOONS WOULD FEAST AT IT as WOULD THE PORCUPINES AND BEARS.IT DID ATTRACT DEER THOUGH IT WAS EASY TO MAKE YOU TAKE A 6' SECTION HAVE A THREADED CAP ON TOP AND AND A BEND ON THE BOTTOM TIE TO TREE WITH WIRE UNSCREW CAP FILL WITH FEED THE BEND ON THE BOTTOM PREVENTS IT FROM RUNNING OUT AS YOU FILL IT.AS FOR Disease thats debatable some believe it can spread cwd he had his tree camera nearby to get photos thats how we saw a lot of the bears
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Scrub Buck

I don't really have any plans for a feeder, but whatever you do, save yourself lots of problems and try to fabricate it out of some kind of metal. And if you can, suspend it with cables. I bought a plastic feeder, and in about 2 weeks 2 bears knocked it over (one was a bear cub, and he knocked over 200 lbs no problem) and squirrels made swiss cheese out of the lid. So I would think pvc would hold up just a bit longer, but not a whole lot. I don't know if you are in cold temps or not, but I have seen pvc crack pretty quickly when it gets cold enough.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 PM
B&C 180 Class

i dont know that pvc pipe set up lasted many many years
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky